Why doesent my DVD burner burn at max speed?

I have a Liteon DVD burner and I find when burning CD's it does not burn as fast as it could. The DVD burner is rated to write at up to 52x. However it never does. Now I understand discs have a maximum limitation but those limitations are not being reached. For example I often burn music on CD-RW's. The CD-RW's I burn it on is rated to write at 12x. However when I choose "maximum burn speed" in Nero it only writes at 10x. I have some CD-R's that are rated for 48x write speed. However only 8x and 16x shows up in Nero for speed options when burning to the CD. So why is the burner not burning as fast as it could?

ETSA

Can't you set the actual burn speed as opposed to the setting of 'maximum' burn speed.?

Can't you set the actual burn speed as opposed to the setting of 'maximum' burn speed.?

Yes but it does not list any options that are fast enough. The options it list is slower then "maximum". And sometimes there is not even a "maximum" option available. Like with the CD-R's for example. With those I rarely get a "maximum" option available. I just get 8x and 16x.

btw... I see you have the US Navy logo for an IT in your avatar. I just joined the Navy as a IT and I ship out to boot camp in a few months. How do you like the IT position? Can you tell me a bit about it?

heyman421

banned
your dvd burner can't read

it bases it's maximum speed setting on the quality of the disc, not what speed it "says" it can be written at

buy some quality discs

your dvd burner can't read

it bases it's maximum speed setting on the quality of the disc, not what speed it "says" it can be written at

buy some quality discs
Well if the discs are rated for 48x they can be written at 48x. I do not believe a $10 CD-R rated for 48x can be written at 48x any better then a $1 CD-R rated at 48x. So how do I force it to write at that speed then?

webmaster.jacob

i had the same problem with a newer dvd burner the nero would not read my dvd burner and when i went with an older dvd burner it was fine with reconizing it over the new one. do u have the up to date nero on the computer?

apj101

VIP Member
How do you like the IT position? Can you tell me a bit about it?
you signed up for a job you know nothing about?

Yes but it does not list any options that are fast enough. The options it list is slower then "maximum". And sometimes there is not even a "maximum" option available. Like with the CD-R's for example. With those I rarely get a "maximum" option available. I just get 8x and 16x.
it is most likely your media is stopping you writing faster. PS be aware that error rates go through the roof on high burn speeds. especially video onto DVD. Best tip is to go slow imo