Why the huge power supply units?

Okedokey

I use

AMD Phenom Quad
Gefore 8200

On only 250W.

Now there is some advice worth listening to. Ha, what an idiot. A phenom, plus a 8200, now there's some educated hardware purchasing, oh and goody, a 250W psu, WOW! Now you've convinced me.

WeatherMan

Sorry we've been looking at different sites lol.

The 500W they sell here is different

Not specifically after a 500W, Was just continuing the thread trend about people recommending overpowerfull units. I would be happy with a HX520 with my current rig, its a trusted PSU, ample for my recquirements and not too expensive over here. Although if I was in the US I'd look at pickimng up the unit you've recommended, but MIR's are a thing of mythical fairytales here :p I'd probably have to drop around £75 for that over here lol

Ive found it, wasn't far off :p http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/650W...-quiet-and-cool-fully-compatible-5yr-warranty

Last edited:

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Now there is some advice worth listening to. Ha, what an idiot. A phenom, plus a 8200, now there's some educated hardware purchasing, oh and goody, a 250W psu, WOW! Now you've convinced me.

Be more respectful to new members. Please don't call anyone an idiot.

Okedokey

Be more respectful to new members. Please don't call anyone an idiot.

Regardless of whether its a rebuild, I apologise for calling him an idiot, instead I will in future say "devoid of good sense or judgment", which is the oxford dictionary's definition of idiot, which, IMHO is absolutely fitting.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Regardless of whether its a rebuild, I apologise for calling him an idiot, instead I will in future say "devoid of good sense or judgment", which is the oxford dictionary's definition of idiot, which, IMHO is absolutely fitting.

First of all, it's a manufactured, or OEM machine, not a rebuild. Moreover, he's running integrated graphics with the Phenom, so he has enough power. Whether or not you agree with his purchase, you don't have any right to flame him.

Okedokey

First of all, it's a manufactured, or OEM machine, not a rebuild. Moreover, he's running integrated graphics with the Phenom, so he has enough power. Whether or not you agree with his purchase, you don't have any right to flame him.

I am aware of all this, but to simply say 250W is enough for that system is silly. The CPU at load will use up to 140W using nearly 60% of the total power the PSU can provide, not even considering the 12V rail stability, nor efficiency or heat of what is very likely to be a rubbish quality psu. That is an underspeced PSU, but anyway, he's changing it according to another thread.

Last edited: