Why would HDD cooling be needed?

dakaptin

I Have seen, Heard and even contemplated HDD cooling. But I have to ask, Why would it even be necessary?

I can understand the need for CPU, Video card, RAM and northbridge/chipset cooling as it all relates to overclocking etc however there really isnt any "overclocking" you can do with a HDD, and as such, wouldn't the manufacturers design these things for the temps they get to in computers anyway?

I'm curious to find the (ratioinal) motive behind spending money towards HDD cooling.

spanky

Having something like 10,000 RPM hard drive can get pretty hot I hear, so people cool them. I personally have intake fan blowing over my HDD's. Keeps them around 33ºC. Also cooler temperatures mean prolonged hdd life so you keep it cooler; you keep it longer.

chupacabra

Having too few space, running more than 1 ide hdd and like theresthatguy said running high rpm's hdd, but you hardly will need one unless you have like each bay occupied by a hdd

dakaptin

so what temps should we start being alarmed/alerted at? (im getting the WD 150Gb Raptor) although it should be good as it'll be in a monster case