Wifi Issue

wolfeking

banned
Product is a Dell Latitude D630.

Issue: Wifi connection is cutting out. Sometimes a restart will reconnect it. Sometimes it will not.

Steps already taken: Reinstalled drivers, Changed battery, plugged it in, checked device manager, checked the switch.

Problem Replication: Windows XP it will cut out after about 30-40 minutes, reconnection is impossible without restart. Windows 2K it cuts out after about 20 minutes, but can reconnect.
Ubuntu has not encountered the issue yet. This leads me to believe that it is a driver issue, not the hardware.

Any ideas on something that could be causing my problems?

wolfeking

banned
I got the driver on XP from the intel site.

Windows 2000 shows a driver on the dell site. Its the same version as the XP driver.

I will try a system restore later.

wolfeking

banned
system restore did not help.

I have also noticed something here that leads me to believe that it is an issue with a power save feature. When I am downloading something (BF2 from origin has been running download for 3 hours without issue) or streaming netflix and hulu, it does not disconnect. But it will disconnect when not under heavy use.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would say driver issue somewhere, either with the chipset or wireless. Or it could be a bad wireless card as well.

wolfeking

banned
ok. I am going to try the Wireless from my G61 HP (same connections), and see if that helps. If it does, its the card. If not, then the port.

Would it help to try and update the chipset driver form the Intel site?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Thats great. Actually the chipset driver needs to be installed first before any other drivers. But I'm glad you its all sorted now.