Wifi Woes

juliasdream

Wifi could and should be uncomplicated but unfortunately some hotspot owners are far from understanding the complications that can arise.
I'm often looking for hotspots in stores and restaurants and there are two complications
One example is ASDA wifi
I find their hotspot on the list in my phone settings and quite often when I click on their login link nothing happens. After much effort trying different browsers and even changing my default browser I sometimes get there but then not always
When I do find the login page it requires my phone number to which I will be sent a link but the phone message never comes.
It's happened in several Asda's and some other hotspots and staff members never have a clue
I did notice Asda hotspots were run by EE but it's equally difficult finding a solution through them

Problem 2
Your connection is not private
I get this a lot and tried everything I can think of. even added an s to http
I always have to give up on this since I haven't found a way past it
Can anyone help?
Screenshot_2017-10-09-12-06-24.jpg

beers

Staff member
In #2 is that just for the captive portal? Usually it will redirect any site you go to to the login page. If you've already logged in check the issuer of the cert. If it's something like asda for all sites then don't use those connections as they're (asda) trying to capture your data.

Setting up a reliable and properly deployed wireless network is often too complex for a lot of network engineers. I've never seen any place have a decent setup that I've walked into.

juliasdream

I've seen many good ones. Any Mcdonalds connects me straight away without me having to log in. Same goes for Costa and Starbucks. It's mainly Asda and a few others that is near impossible. I had exactly the same in France at Flunch, a restaurant chain
As for problem 2, surely there is some solution to work around it. It happens a lot and It's really annoying.