Wikipedia's 'no open proxies' policy...

T-Wrecks

I find that my mobile network's IP addresses are often banned for anonymous editing on Wikipedia, along with open proxies. But this is usually not the case for anyone who is editing with a user account. But no proxy server seems to work either. I've very rarely found any that do work, whether I'm paying for a VPN or not. I've also used Tor and Orbot. But by the next hour or so, that IP address could become useless. Having to manually try a gazillion more until you find one that finally works, is just not for me.

Just how do they ban so many proxies anyway? Does somebody like, just sit there all day adding them to some sort of reject system?

Is there a way you can get a "special IP address" or whatever, that only you can have assigned to your computer, so this cannot happen?

The thing is, I prefer anonymous editing to using a log-in name, as by doing that, every Tom, Dick and Harry can stalk your contributions from looking at your history, and therefore know what you're editing all of the time.

beers

Staff member
That's more of a function of CGNAT on cellular, a large pool of users share the same external address. They probably preemptively disabled known blocks for anonymous editing.

You can always just make a throwaway account bro.