will adding ram help?

uiucguy99

ok i have an 800MHz p3 computer that I bought about four years ago. Around a year ago, it started running very badly w/ win98se and had issues w/ network connections, so i partitioned the hdd and dropped mandrakelinux 10.0 on it a few weeks ago (which is the latest available version of that). it now connects well and everything, but is just a little slow. on my system monitor in linux it shows me as utilizing 110+ of 125 available mb of RAM at idle, spiking to 125 when i use ANY program. i have 2 RDRAM slots, one of which is a 128mb and the other a continuity rimm.

anyways, i just read a post somewhere else that said a computer running win98 will not see any performance gains above 128mb. however, i NEVER use windows anymore, just mandrake. i'd like to add another 256mb rimm for a total of 384mb. so, my question is, will i see performance gains in linux even if windows cannot utilize them? or is this a hardware issue that i'm not aware of?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
As a gerneral rule more RAM makes any computer run faster, even if you go over 128mb on win98

daflo1

Accually i think windows can go up to 384 and see preformace. but once u hit 512 it start to get screwy so yes i beleive that you will see a preformance.

Kyoshiro Mibu

My friend had basically same system as you, dell, 800 mhz on a P3, and he had 384 mb of SDRam, and it ran pretty good until his hard drive corrupted the crap outa itself. so yea, go for it man

robina_80

yes!!!
ive got a gig may get 2 gigs because i like really fast processor dont matter as much as least its a good one

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
UIUCGUY99
If its not a major expense, max out the RAM :) .... now ive read that its RDRAM you're putting in there .. dont max it out cuz thats a silly waste of money. Add some if you feel the performance isnt what you want but dont pour money into it