will my pc play bluray?

j-brady

I was just wondering, its not the end of the world if it wont, or if itl be too glitchy, but i was thinking of adding a blu ray drive

I havnt put it together yet but i got most of the parts, im building mainly for music production on cubase.

My setup is

Antec P180 case
Asus P5Q-E Mobo
Asus EN8600GT silent Graphics card
Antec earthwatts 650w PSU
4GB corsair XMS2 ram
Intel core 2 duo e8500 (3.16mhz)
Probably a benq hd tft

Im not planning to overclock or anything like that. so do you think this is good enough t play bluray smoothly?

Oh and also will i need a fan for my graphics gard, i just noticed it says case fan recommended" or omething like that on the box. bear in mind this is for music production so i want it to be quiet.

Thanks
JBS

fmw

Good choice of cases for a DAW. The system is overkill for both amateur DAW use and for playing blu-ray. Take care.

Mr soft

AVC , no prob, But I think you will struggle with VC1 .

Have you bought the graphics card yet ?

Last edited:

j-brady

Yeah ive got all the parts now, i didnt want to spend much on the graphics card because im not really into computer games. not on computers anyways.

whats AVC and VC1? i take it these are file types or something of the sort, what about just playing from bluray disks

Zatharus

VIP Member
Yeah ive got all the parts now, i didnt want to spend much on the graphics card because im not really into computer games. not on computers anyways.

whats AVC and VC1? i take it these are file types or something of the sort, what about just playing from bluray disks

AVC and VC-1 are the different video containers/codecs used for Bluray currently. AVC stands for Advanced Video Coding and was developed by a joint venture of the VCEG (Video Coding Experts Group) and the MPEG (Moving Picture Experts Group) folks whereas VC-1 was developed by Microsoft. Essentially VC-1 encoding uses a derivative of the the H.264/H.263 and MPEG (1, 2 and 4) varieties of codecs in the AVC spec. They are similar.

VC-1 decoding on your machine should be jsut fine. Keep in mind that you will need an HDCP compatible drive, monitor and software in order to play commercial Bluray content.