Will this work

Benjidrummer

Hello all,

I have recently been passed down a computer from my Grandmother which runs on XP Pro, but has no Installation CD's or anything, just the tower and monitor and mouse etc.

And the problem is that everything on it seems to be messed up, so i want to install windows again.

Now i know that i havent got the CD or anything, so this is my idea, will somone tell me if it works, and if it is legal, because i will be using it to link to the internet.

1. Somehow find the serial code that the windows was installed on, im guessing that it will be a file stored somwhere, am i right?

2. Borrow an XP installion disk off a friend

3. Install it using the serial code

Please could somone clarify this

Thanks
Ben Green
[email protected]

tomb08uk

Err...no this isnt legal due to the fact that it isnt you CD and dont you will be able to see the serial number on the system , as all integrated within the disc i think....but check this out as not 100% sure.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
it is possible to find out the xp serial on your machine, but i wont tell you how until someone can confirm its legal, i thionk it would be seeing as when you buy a cd its pretty much the serial you pay for

atomic

tomb08uk said:
Err...no this isnt legal due to the fact that it isnt you CD and dont you will be able to see the serial number on the system , as all integrated within the disc i think....but check this out as not 100% sure.

wrong... i have my xp cd still sealed in plastic... the shop that built my pc used there xp home disc and just used my serial...i am informed this is common.

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
if its legal, then go to google and type magic jelly bean, the first site that comes up has a prgram that tells you what xp code your using

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
you can only use the serial once at a time, so u can format windows and keep using it, but only install it on one computer. unless you bought windows with multikeys or have permission