Will windows 95 run on a 386 machine?

mailman

I have built a couple of computers and am fairly comfortable working on one. My friends Pentium II 233 machines motherboard died. I replaced it with a used one and it worked a little while, but now won't come on at all. I have a 386 machine and was thinking of putting the hard drive from the above computer in it. His hard drive has Windows 95 on it. Will it work?

Super_Nova

Windows 95 will run on a 386 very slowly. But if it's already been pre-installed on a pentium it may have some issues.

ZER0X

VIP Member
I have a 386 machine and was thinking of putting the hard drive from the above computer in it. His hard drive has Windows 95 on it. Will it work?

Pretty unlikely....It may JUST! I know a 486 can just!, but dunno about a 386, my younger sisters computer is a 386 and it uses Windows 3.1 hmm maybe you should just try

Lorand

<b>VIP Member</b>
I don't think it will work, since Windows 95's hardware requirements are:
CPU: 486 (or 386 w/ math coprocessor)
RAM: 8 MB (really 16 MB)
Free hdd space: 30 MB (really 500 MB)

majeskyb

I know it will work on a 386. like tab said, I've done it before also. Preferred though is like a P75MHz, so don't expect it to run Doom3 or anything

mailman

This 386 machine has a math coprocessor and 4 memory chips installed and windows 3.11. I don't know how big it's hard drive is. It's hard drive is like 5.25" wide and has two ribbon cables attaching it to the motherboard. It won't mate up to the hard drive from the pentium II machine so i guess I'll have to stick with the old HD. All we want to do with this machine is run Win 95 , run a word processing program, and get on the internet. It didn't have a modem so I got a 33.6 ISA voice modem and plugged it in to an ISA slot, but I don't know how to get Win 3.11 to install it or set it up. I've never had any experience with pre pentium computers or pre Win 95. How do I or where do I go to find out how to do what I need to do? Any help appreciated. P.S. It doesn't have a cd-rom so can I install one in this machine?

Last edited:

Super_Nova

I doubt that type of hard drive has enough space to run windows 95. But, the computer is just powerful enough to pull it off, but barely. In the past I've been able to fool Windows 98 to install on a 33mhz 486 even though the minimun requirements are 66mhz. but I don't think you have to fool Windows 95. I never got to install windows 95 on my old 386 because I didn't have enough disk space, but the installation began and that was the only error I got. .