Win 10 Home no internet access problem.

Da Mail Man

Greetings All,

I recently was given a Lenovo laptop/tablet computer (Lenovo Ideapad s340-151wl) with Windows 10 (64 bit I believe)...(I f'ing hate it!). Below are the specs copied from the net for whatever it's worth.

"1.6GHz Intel Core i5-8265U quad-core processor with up to 3.9GHz speed and 6MB cache memory.

256GB SSD keeps your running programs active while your computer resumes from suspension in seconds.

Windows 10 Home gives you the familiar feel of Windows with enhanced capabilities.

8GB smoothly runs your games, photo, and video editing applications

DDR4 RAM: with its higher bandwidth, everything from multi-tasking to playing games gets a performance boost.

Features Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution for unbelievable pixel-by-pixel image performance.

Its 15.6" display offers 40% more viewable area than a 13.3" screen,so you have more room to spread out your work, and more space to enjoy your movie.

Intel UHD Graphics 620 provides everyday image quality for Internet usage, basic photo editing, and casual gaming.

Backlit keyboard lets you play day or night.

802.11a/b/g/n/ac and Bluetooth 4.2 wireless connectivity for easy Internet access.

52.5Wh lithium-ion battery with a run time of up to 10 hours"

*PROBLEM:
This is/was a working computer used in an office which had internet access (wireless). I cannot get internet access. "Logged" into my network (router) with the correct password and it shows connected but, no net access. Have attempted multiple "fixes" I read on the net but, "NADA". It is not in airplane mode either. I have disabled the firewall and, I restored computer back to it's factory settings.Displays no ip address, etc.

While it "sux" not having an optical drive or typical cat 5 port, I am stuck with what I have...What am I doing incorrectly?...I had hoped to "split/partition "the hard drive and place Win 7 on it because Win 10 sux but, w/out net access, I won't waste my time...

Any assistance will be welcomed.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What type of security is on your router? Are you using WEP? I don't think newer machines will connect to WEP. What IP is the laptop getting?

Da Mail Man

Thanks for the reply...WPA....NO IP displayed in the laptop......It's coming down to me getting a "cat 5" usb adapter to get internet as hardwired.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure the correct wireless driver is installed? What does it show in device manager for network adapters? Can you post a screenshot of it. Try WPA2-Personal if thats one of the options in your router.

Da Mail Man

Are you sure the correct wireless driver is installed?
**Well, it was set back to factory specs and the device manager (once I found the damned thing) has no "errors" in it. It says I am "in it" - password "correct" but, no internet access.

What does it show in device manager for network adapters?
** I would have to go back into same a read it...Once I do that, I will reply to same**.

Can you post a screenshot of it.
**Doubtful as I have no cell or cam to do so. Once turned on, I had to search the net to figure out how to turn this "POS" off**!

Try WPA2-Personal if thats one of the options in your router.
**I believe that is what I have it set for, I only posted a "short answer".**

beers

Staff member
What specific wireless card is in it, and can you show me in device manager?

What do you specifically get out of command prompt for an IP address after connecting, when doing something like ipconfig /all ?

While it "sux" not having an optical drive or typical cat 5 port
You can get these for about $15 as USB add-ons. A typical 8P8C connector port is too chunky for ultrabook designs.

Da Mail Man

Thanks for the reply!

Will get that info in a day or so as I have some pending issues I need to complete-address.

Da Mail Man

Thanks for the reply! Will get that info in a day or so as I have some pending issues I need to complete-address.
What specific wireless card is in it, and can you show me in device manager? What do you specifically get out of command prompt for an IP address after connecting, when doing something like ipconfig /all ? You can get these for about $15 as USB add-ons. A typical 8P8C connector port is too chunky for ultrabook designs.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You posted nothing but quotes, no needed information was given. Did you forget to add it?

Da Mail Man

You posted nothing but quotes, no needed information was given. Did you forget to add it?
Thanks...what I did was attempted to post something but, I, for some unknown reason, was not able to type in the box and say none of my text being written......I came over to this computer and can now see text as I type it. I did not think or see anything going through...SORRY-BOUT-THAT.

Last edited:

Da Mail Man

UPDATE:

Regarding no internet access aforementioned, I found the problem...It was with a router setting...I had the number of "accessible users" set down low and therefore, locked any other connections or attempted connection out of it which resulted in no net at all for any more connections......Once I adjusted it higher, all is well.

Da Mail Man

My new project is to attempt to "un-brick" a linksys router I bricked 9(?) years ago......Bad firmware update (DD-WRT).

Da Mail Man

Well, it did happen......Followed directions and it rebooted to the "drt" page and just hung there...I let it go for 3hrs and finally convinced myself something glitched, and that was all she wrote......I will bother because I don't like things around here that could possibly be made to work if they could.....I have a JTAG cable hanging around here someplace.