Win XP Home - Pro

Adam Warren

I was just wondoring if i can upgrade the 3 computers in my house to Professional and keep all my files. i ask because i hear pro is better if your on a network, but i dont wanna go through the hassle of installing everything again...:eek:

Trizoy

VIP Member
If you can keep your files? Like music files? Or do you mean programs which have been installed and you no longer have access too... Just burn the music files, or place them all on on computer and do that storage computer last..

Hellbreather

If you have a spare HDD then use Norton Ghost which will copy all your files except the OS to another HDD then you can upgrade and use Norton Ghost to copy these files back

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
whta would happen if you ran the pro setup as if you were gonna do a clean install of windows, but went to repair. would that work, because it installs all the windows files again, so effectively it would be pro?

Hellbreather

That could work except I think you have to have the Pro windows files in order to repair Pro or else it should be "Upgrade/Repair"

Lax

VIP Member
There should be an option when you stick the disk in of "upgrade" just do that and the files should be fine. If you are aprehensive (like I always am) I back up all my non-Program "files" in case something screws up.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hahha

Well as far as I know....the upgrade option does not stop your already installed programs from working. I have upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP Pro and all of it remained. The problem was that some of the progs refused to work. However, I really think that you will not lose any installed programs.....just my opinion. Certainly back up first.

JAN :D