Win XP Pro SP2 any input?

rars222

I have been fighting the upgrade SP2 bug. I have heard all of the horror stories and wanted to see what you all thought.

Any tips before jumping off of the proverbial cliff? (aka...microsoft)

Thanks

OS Dragon

Give it a shot, theres nothing to lose (apart from all your data :p ). No, seriously though, SP2 can be quite effective to some of the older gliches and holes in Win XP shield. I tried it but it didn't work for me (I didn't like it). There are some pretty good features such as:-

• Firewall
    (Protection from drive by installations on the internet and more)
  • Virus Protection
    (Bug fixes, Security Patches etc.)

At the end of the day, it up to you. :D

Morb

The best way how to install WinXP-SP2 is clear installation(you have to import SP2 to installation CD - to find how to do this check Microsoft's MSDN. This is "self-made" CD installation.

Of course, SP2 can be installed as an upgrade to SP1(it's purpose :D ), but be carefull. When upgrading SP2, SP2 makes records(backups) of changes(for future SP2 removing - if needed). But from my personal experiences (and I am not beginner in this), when you will try to deinstall/remove SP2 there is 85% chance that your system will be corrupted.(I tried it 4 times - 3 virtual machines and 1 normal system - shit I had to reinstall my comp :D - god bless DVD-RAM backups :) ). But if you do not intend to remove SP2 it is true safe.

OS Dragon

Me again... if you already have internet security software such as Norton Internet Security 2004, McAfee Internet Security 6 or even Avast! 4.1 and ZoneAlarm I'd just do a little research because there have been some instances where the two softwares weren't incompatible e.g. SP2 turns the internet security off, of the other security software. :(

dave597

VIP Member
its probably best to clean install windows and then the service packs immediately after to avoid any chance of conflict. for example installing sp2 over xp with symantec antivirus results in a conflict with the right click context menu. however install, xp, sp2, then antivirus is okay.