win xp

PC eye

banned
The XP installer will preserve the ME installation unless you decide to have XP run on an NTFS partition which is native for XP. NTFS certainly does a better job then Fat32. The quick and easy method is to simply boot from the installtion disk unless you are only using an upgrade version.

For installation with the upgrade disk you would simply run the installer after the auto loader brings up the first screen. This will start the installation process there and compress the current ME version in case you wish to revert back to ME. This will at first be on the Fat32 type partition that ME was on. After copying all needed files to the drive for setup the installer will restart the system. Later you an convert the Fat32 to the NTFS type with the Disk Management tool found in the Adminstrative Tools in the control panel.

With the full install version you would either set the cd rom(or presently installed optical drive) as the first boot device in the system bios. Once the installer brings you upto the option to press the "R" key to repair the current installation of XP(not installed yet) or to install a new copy at this time you cimply press the enter to start the process there.

Once the next screen appears you will note that the current drive and one or more partitions will be listed and you will be asked which one you wish to install XP on at this time. Here you have the option to delete the current partition along with ME by pressing the "L" key and wait for the next screen to appear. Pressing the "D" key at that time confirms the deletion of the present partition ME is on. Once you return to the former screen you will re-enter the install now screen to choose to create the new partition using the entire drive space or reduce the space for creatation of a second partition leater maybe for storage. A single primary partition is advised for the best overall performance. The installer will then create and format the drive for the new installation of Windows at this time. Once all files are copied the system will restart to finish the installation. If all goes well you now will see XP running normally at the desktop where you can then install all softwares and drivers if you haven't already at the prompts for new hardware detected as the installation prompts you along the way.