Windows 10 features update 1909 hangs on install

Hi,

Like many others, my Windows 10 Home OS version 1909 features update installation hangs at 91%. I tried updating last night, and it was still stuck on 91% this morning. There are several suggestions online for how to try and get past this problem, including disabling all antivirus and Windows Defender programs and then trying the update installation again.

My question is, since the update is ready to install (it's already been downloaded), does the updater need access to the internet in order to complete the installation? My PC is connected via an Ethernet cable instead of wireless. If I'm going to disable my antivirus and Defender apps, I'd prefer to unplug the Ethernet to prevent access to my system while it is unprotected.

Or am I overthinking this? We have a secure cable modem/router setup with a very strong access password, so is this really even an issue?

Thanks, johnb--

Interestingly, when I tried your suggestion I got this error:

wrong.jpg

Guess I'll try turning off my antivirus and try again. But this leads me to my previous question: Can I disconnect my PC Ethernet cable to prevent access while my antivirus is off, or does the updater need access to the internet during installation?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Seems that error is a permissions issue. Have you tried using the windows update troubleshooter? You don't need to disconnect from the internet when doing updates As long as you are only doing updates there's no chance for infection.

I did try running the update troubleshooter but it didn't come up with any issues.

And, I'm definitely having permission issues even though I am the only user of my PC and I log on with my "Local Account" as an "Administrator". Here's my info:

admin.jpg

As far as where I'm at with the 1909 features update, it still fails. One (of many) suggestions found in the Microsoft help forums was to go into File Explorer and find:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis
then delete the file called: events_normal.rbs
then start windows update as normal

This worked for several people, but not me as my permissions wouldn't let me delete the file. So, I tried adding an "Administrator" account and tried again--I still couldn't delete that file. I was finally able to force delete it by logging back into my local account (not the Admin account I created earlier), then going into the command prompt and navigating to:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Diagnosis and then typing: del Events_Normal.rbs

I then tried disabling my Windows Security and antivirus apps, and restarted the updater. This was the result:

failed update.jpg

...so I logged back in to that "Admin" account and tried again. Same result.

For now, the "Updater" has quit prompting me that I need to restart the computer to finish updating to 1909, so I'm thinking I'll wait awhile to see if Microsoft fixes the issues so many people are having with the installation hanging up before completion....

...unless anyone here has any other ideas for me to try!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Have you done any general cleanup to your system lately? I'm talking like running Ccleaner and Malwarebytes to check for malware? Can you tell me what version of 10 you are currently on?

Yeah, I ran System Cleanup and defragged a couple days ago. I'm running Malwarebytes Premium with daily scans. I'll go ahead and run CCleaner, which I don't do often enough.

I'm currently on version (Windows 10 Home) 1809, build 17763.1075. I got to wondering if I should maybe try updating to version 1903 which I don't ever recall being prompted to install, and see if that makes the update to 1909 go better.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
1903 should have installed during the summer last year. Can you check your update history to see if it has been failing to install? You can also try doing the SFC /scannow at the command prompt to scan for missing or corrupt system files.

How hard would it be for you to wipe the drive and install the latest version 10? Sometimes thats the only way to get past an issue like this.

You can also try the procedures here on this page.

https://windows101tricks.com/windows-10-feature-update-installation-failed/

My update history never mentions 1903. It shows 1809 successfully installed on 5/4/19 and has been getting regular cumulative and security updates since then.

When you say "wipe the drive", do you mean, like, reformat it and then reinstall the OS? I guess I could. Or are you talking about using the "Reset this PC" option under "Recovery" in the "Update & Security" section of "Settings", which I've never done either? I have an external drive that I do file backups to (is there such a thing as a full disk "image" anymore?) but I've never done any file recovery attempts before, so I'm not up on that. And I'd sure hate to have to reinstall all my programs/applications/games if that's part of the deal.

Also not familiar with that SFC /scannow function, but will look that up and try it. If it requires Administrator privileges, I may have a problem. As I mentioned previously in this thread I've been having permission issues even though my account says "Administrator".

Thanks for the "windows101tricks" link...I'll check it out!

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The only options available when resetting the pc is either keep or delete your personal files so any programs/games would get removed during the process.

As I said, it may be quicker and easier to just format reinstall windows with the latest version. You could be days sitting there trying different things and still not work

Well I have no idea why, but I was finally able to update to version 1909 today. I diligently followed as many of the suggestions in the https://windows101tricks.com/windows-10-feature-update-installation-failed/ article that I could (some things like the "sfc /scannow" tool failed during every attempt, both in normal and Safe Mode), as well as the other things I mentioned earlier in this thread. One thing I didn't try was to update to 1903 first as I'd read several places how buggy IT was. In the end, there is nothing I can point to that I did which might have led to the successful installation of this update. I'm just glad I didn't have to reset my PC and lose all my programs and apps in the process.

Thanks again to johnb35 for your suggestions and the link mentioned above. Even though I'm not sure what broke the barrier(s) preventing me from initial success, I'm grateful for the help!