Windows 11

peter912

Transferring personal data and bookmarks is pretty easy. Your local computer repair store can do it. If you signed into chrome or firefox and have sync enabled, then its just a matter of signing back into your specific account and the data will be there. Technically you should be able to do a fresh install of 11 on your computer and use the windows 10 key to activate it. However, you may need to do a special procedure to bypass the requirement. You can't bypass the requirement when upgrading from 10 to 11.

I can tell you right now that windows 11 sucks.
Maybe Windows 11 might improve by 2025 ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It is telling me that "The processor isn't currently supported for Windows 11" This means that I will need to buy a new computer in four years time, right ?
What are your current system specs as far as what exact processor you have, how much ram is installed. If it was a store bought pc, it would be nice to have the model number of it was well.

peter912

What are your current system specs as far as what exact processor you have, how much ram is installed. If it was a store bought pc, it would be nice to have the model number of it was well.
Dell Inspiron 3656
Processor
AMD A10-8700P
Radeon R6, 10 Compute Cores 4C+6 G 1.80 GHz
RAM- 8.00 GB

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you really want windows 11 on that thing, you'll need to do a fresh install and do a procedure to bypass the hardware requirements.

But as old as that is, you'll need a new computer before windows 10 support ends. Your system is about 6 years old now.

peter912

If you really want windows 11 on that thing, you'll need to do a fresh install and do a procedure to bypass the hardware requirements.

But as old as that is, you'll need a new computer before windows 10 support ends. Your system is about 6 years old now.
Well, actually the sticker on it says that it was manufactured on January 2017 but by the time support ends for it, will be time for a new computer.

johnnyb58

My 14 yr old grandson just upgraded to Win 11 and said he loves it. I don’t know what computer he has, but he's a heavy gamer and his computer is only a year old. So I’m not sure how to compare because mine is 5 or 6 yrs old and I don’t play games, only social media and office stuff. I also use it for graphic design, but probably on a couple times a month if that.

Anyway, I’m having some doubts after only reading a few comments here although I haven't read everything here and I heard all the same complaints when upgrading to Win 10. I am very happy I did finally upgrade to 10 and wondering if its going to be the same experience with 11.

I get an invite to upgrade every time I turn on my laptop so I guess my computer is compatible.

Intel_man

VIP Member

Krieger

I think the arbitrary & ridiculous system requirements is my biggest gripe with Windows 11. Since when the heck does every single PC need to have TPM 2.0? I think they should have made multiple versions of Windows 11(one for gaming, one for home/office and one for enterprise use) this way every PC doesn't need to have the same specs and requirements to upgrade.

Darren

Staff member
I think the arbitrary & ridiculous system requirements is my biggest gripe with Windows 11. Since when the heck does every single PC need to have TPM 2.0? I think they should have made multiple versions of Windows 11(one for gaming, one for home/office and one for enterprise use) this way every PC doesn't need to have the same specs and requirements to upgrade.
Yep I'm skipping 11 for reasons like these.

Personally I'm still salty they lied saying that Windows 10 was the "last Windows OS". Feel like they pushed that message pretty hard early in W10 days.

Krieger

Yep I'm skipping 11 for reasons like these.

Personally I'm still salty they lied saying that Windows 10 was the "last Windows OS". Feel like they pushed that message pretty hard early in W10 days.
Yeah, but I don't think they necessarily lied about their plans for Windows 10 being the last. Its more they decided to change course. Personally I would have preferred Windows 10 to be the last and they could have just focused on improving that. Windows 10 could have been the best Windows ever had they just focus on it the most instead of coming up with this bizarre Windows 11 out of nowhere.

beers

Staff member
Since when the heck does every single PC need to have TPM 2.0?
I'm down for features like Bitlocker out of the box (probably more conscious of that being on a laptop) although I feel like you'll see more people wiping their keys and then wondering why their volume is suddenly inaccessible.

Yeah agreed. It was the new rage until they found another financial model they could leverage. Suddenly, everyone needs a new OS!