Windows 2000 endless install loop

kimc

Hi,
I am upgrading a Win 98 machine to Win 2K (which I have done dozens of times before) and for some reason this machine won't stop installing!

Help! The friend I am doing this for wants the machine on Sunday, and today is Friday.

Don't say reformat because the machine is loaded with pics that he wants to keep.

What can I do?

SFR

Truth fears no questions
kimc said:
and for some reason this machine won't stop installing!

What exactly do you mean it won't stop installing?

When you reboot the machine after reinstalling the OS, do you take out the Windows 2000 install CD?

kimc

I completes the full install cycle, then reboots, and instead of saying "welcome to Win 2k", it goes back to the screen that examines the disk, notes that it's already NFTS (no kidding!), then starts the whole thing all over again.

It has "installed" the OS 10 times now. I have finally shut it down to wait for some advice.

Do you have any ideas???? Reformatting is not an option because the disk holds pics that the owner wants to keep.

HELP!

tl7410

Hard drive

Create a 25GB partition and install on that partition. I had the same problem with a Compaq Presario 5BWM21. It did not like the 80GB drive but partitioning it worked by making it look smaller. I was installing a full version of windows XP. I tried windows 2000, but it did the same install loop also.

Hope this helps

TL