Windows 98SE

wolfeking

banned
trying this in Virtualbox before I build. Just one thing though, I have copies of 98-7, but does anyone know where I could get a copy of DOS 6, 2.0, 3.1, and 95?

wolfeking

banned
better question. Where to get an .ISO image of them, or at least the CD version. I dont have a FDD PATA attachment on me lappy to burn these files as they are intended.
As for Ebay, dont trust it. Never have. Too many con artist on the net to trust it.

wolfeking

banned
thats what I already have (well I have original floppys of 2.0, 3.11, and 95). The problem being the lack of a floppy drive, or way to hook up the one I do have. Assuming I could get it done in 30 minutes (lunch break), do you think there would be any way to convert the floppys .img file over to .iso (to burn to CD) using one of the schools desktops (they have a FDD)? AFAIK, making a copy for the purpose of personal use is not a violation of the EULA. Please correct me if im wrong there.

lucasbytegenius

thats what I already have (well I have original floppys of 2.0, 3.11, and 95). The problem being the lack of a floppy drive, or way to hook up the one I do have. Assuming I could get it done in 30 minutes (lunch break), do you think there would be any way to convert the floppys .img file over to .iso (to burn to CD) using one of the schools desktops (they have a FDD)? AFAIK, making a copy for the purpose of personal use is not a violation of the EULA. Please correct me if im wrong there.

Yes, there is, but it won't be bootable. You can copy the files to the CD if you must.

wolfeking

banned
Guess Ill just have to run 98 forward till I can build with a FDD (or get a comp with one.). Simply because it will need to be a bootable image to work properly, would it not?

lucasbytegenius

Guess Ill just have to run 98 forward till I can build with a FDD (or get a comp with one.). Simply because it will need to be a bootable image to work properly, would it not?

If you're running Windows 7 on that machine you could create a virtual drive in Disk Management, and mount it, format it as FAT16, mark it bootable and pop your files on it. Then you could move that drive to your machine (no matter what OS is running on your machine) and pop it in VirtualBox and it should work fine.
No guarantees, however.
I seem to recall that VB worked with floppy disk images, perhaps my memory is a little fuzzy? :confused:

wolfeking

banned
The .img files on the floppies are bootable images. However, AFAIK, transferring the .img to .iso will loose the bootable capability. I guess its worth a try though. Will still need a floppy disk drive to try the conversion (then again, i could just get a floppy and boot from the originals.)

wolfeking

banned
update. I have managed to boot to 98, 98SE, ME, 2000PRO (needed clean install), and XP PRO. Think the whole experiment here was screwed with the clean install of 2000PRO. Vista copy is in the mail, so ill upgrade to that when I get it.

**Sent from XP Pro SP3 Vbox machine**

spynoodle

I want to run windows 98se on my inspiron 1525. I want this laptop to go as fast as it possibly can. I am wondering if there is a updated image that could be used on a newer computer such as this one.
Umm...... how about linux? :)