Windows AutoUpdate Disable tool, is it safe?

PC-Questioner

Hi there,
My Windows 10 machine wants to update at very inconvenient moments. It doesn't even work properly. It showed me a blue screen for 3 quarters with the message (I don't remember the exact words): 'Starting up' and nothing happened. Windows XP allowed the option to disable automatic update and that was a very useful option.
I've discovered a tool on the internet that gives me the option to disable automatic updates again.
However I'm not sure if I can trust it.
Softpedia has reviewed it and has nothing to say negative about it:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Windows-AutoUpdate-Disable.shtml
Other websites are telling me that the programmer is suspicious (securityxploded).
Any advice?

aldan

not a good idea to even try to disable auto updates,much less with some third party tool from,of all places,softpedia.you can modify how win10 gets updates and choose when to restart.i run a real dinosaur and dont even notice when its updating.

PC-Questioner

Well...., it's obvious that your dinosaur is different than mine.
Windows 10 can't be modified the way for example XP could. I'm certainly not the only one who did notice that.
Apart from the fact whether it's a good idea or not, my question was if the tool is trustworthy.
Anyone else?

Punk

Staff member
Well...., it's obvious that your dinosaur is different than mine.
Windows 10 can't be modified the way for example XP could. I'm certainly not the only one who did notice that.
Apart from the fact whether it's a good idea or not, my question was if the tool is trustworthy.
Anyone else?

I wouldn't trust any tool that will mess with auto updates or just updates in fact. Like Aldan said, you can set a time when it will update. If you don't, it will happen when you don't use your computer. Have you tried looking through the settings?

PC-Questioner

Have you tried looking through the settings?

Yes I've tried that but I don't see any option to disable automatic updating by choosing manual updating.
In the old XP times it was in my opinion a useful option so I could update my PC exactly when I felt it was the time to do so.
The last time Windows wanted to update at a very inconvenient moment and not only that, it also got stuck on a blue screen for 3 quarters with a message on it that he was starting up. I've interrupted this idiotic process by manually shutting down my PC and starting up again.
I want to switch to manual updating but from your answer I understand that this program ain't trustworthy?

Punk

Staff member
There is no manual updating in Win10, you can set time at which you want your update to roll but you cannot manually accept updates. Usually my computer downloads the updates when it's idled then asks me for a reboot or does it by default if I don't answer.
A month there was a big update which needed some time to install, kinda like going to a new SP time-wise. I would just let it install when you're not using, it took around an hour and a half, not counting download time.

I personally don't trust any program that claims it can disable auto update because Windows removed that option, but that's just me. I have no information on the maker and just one review that could be written by the guy himself. I wouldn't trust it, but that's just my opinion.

What version of Win10 are you using? Win10 Pro has a few more options on updating than Home, but no disabling.

beers

Staff member
I don't see the difference between ignoring that it's a bad idea, and ignoring that we're already telling you it's probably not very trustworthy.

You might as well install it anyway since that's the answer you're looking for.

Darren

Staff member
Disabling Windows 10 updates is just asking for trouble. Those updates are designed to keep your OS secure and improve functionality. If They even had an update to make it easier to control updates and when they occur, ironically enough. Look into Active Hours. Or just shutdown/restart your computer on a regular basis. I've NEVER had W10 update on me without prior warning, and I rarely ever notice it doing it since it usually just runs when I shut it down each night.

Updates can be slow sure, but usually that's because you've pushed them back until it forces all of them through at once. They've had I think 2-3 large updates that actually took a significant chunk of time, otherwise just a slight trickle of them every few days that takes mere minutes.

PC-Questioner

I don't see the difference between ignoring that it's a bad idea, and ignoring that we're already telling you it's probably not very trustworthy. You might as well install it anyway since that's the answer you're looking for.

Yes there's a difference but never mind.
Thank y´all for your replies and advice.
Highly appreciated....

aldan

unless you speak only esperanto,it is the same thing.and please dont patronize us.you obviously had your mind made up before you even posted this question.as someone who has done extensive tweaking on win10.GOOD LUCK.

PC-Questioner

unless you speak only esperanto,it is the same thing.and please dont patronize us.you obviously had your mind made up before you even posted this question.as someone who has done extensive tweaking on win10.GOOD LUCK.

If you feel patronized I'm sorry I didn't do that deliberately.
I don't speak esperanto but if it's the same thing for you then so be it. For me its not, and no I didn't had my mind made up.
I decided to remove the tool from my computer and I didn't use the program at all.
Good luck to you too my friend and peace.....