Windows fresh install and AHCI setting?

fmonte

I am reformatting and doing a fresh Windows 10 install on my SSD drive currently set at IDE. I'm am booting from a thumb drive to do the fresh install, at what point do I get into the BIOS and select ahci. Thank you in advance.

fmonte

Thanks John, I can hit delete to get into the bios setup and F8 to get into the boot order so I am going to hit del, go into bios setup, change from ide to ahci and then within the boot setup I will change the boot to usb and hit continue, right? On a separate note, besides re-formating and installing windows on the ssd, should I do anything with the regular hard drive that is hooked up in the case. I don't have it activated to use when the computer is on but I would not mind having the extra storage if it doesn't hurt performance. If you were me, would you use both? If so, does it change anything with me wiping the ssd because of the hack or the instructions you gave me for that? Thank you. Frank

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You need to save bios settings before starting the install. Do not have the regular hard drive attached to the system while installing windows to the SSD drive or the boot files will be placed on the HDD. You can use the HDD as extra storage, You can delete the windows directory and other files/folders afterwards.

fmonte

Okay, here is where I am at. I put the usb into the computer, booted up to bios setup, first I changed the ahci designation and the then put the usb to be first to boot from and hit F10. (is hitting f10 save the bios setting as you instructed. If not can I start over and could you give more detail as to what yo mean when you say save settings). In any event after the computer booted up, I am at a Windows logo screen that says install now but I am not going to hit that button until someone gets back to me. Thank you.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
After you choose to do a fresh install, the next step ask you where to install it to. If the previous install was on the SSD then you need to choose to delete all existing partitions on the drive and then format it. If the previous install wasn't on the SSD then you can just install.

fmonte

I did as you said and now I'm showing drive 0 unallocated space for the full amount of the SSD drive but the format button is gray. It's not active for me to click on it. The only live buttons on the page are refresh, load driver or new Please advise.

fmonte

I got it worked out I saw a video as to what to do on that page. So it does say it is installing Windows now. thanks again for everything.

fmonte

So I left the room while Windows was installing and I came back in and it's on the screen again for the Windows setup with the screen that asks what language you want to use. It appears I went in a big circle. So I clicked install now again and I'm in the Windows setup where it says where do you want to install Windows and I have the SSD drive showing up with two partitions and the format button is Live and the next button is live. Please advise

fmonte

Well, I decided to do it one more time and this time I pulled out the thumbdrive upon restart and I think that was the problem. One final question. Next time I shutdown my computer and start it up again, I should go into the boot order and change it back to the ssd drive, right? Let me take this opportunity to thank one and all for you help in getting me back up and running. May your kindeness return to you tenfold. Sincerely, Frank

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I should go into the boot order and change it back to the ssd drive, right?
Yes. And thats why the install started over because the usb drive was still attached and it was setup as first boot device instead of the SSD.