Windows keeps giving me the Last Modified Date instead of Creation Date

jo86

Hey guys. So Windows has been bullshooting me with the Creation Date. For a file I created months ago, I'll look everywhere for the Creation Date (I'll go in Details, or I'll add the 'Creation Date' Column in Explorer...) and it always gives me the Last Modified Date instead. How do I get to stop it from doing that and just giving me the actual date ? Anyone know ? Thanks.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you right click on the actual file and click on properties, it will show you the creation date along with modified date and last access date.

jo86

If you right click on the actual file and click on properties, it will show you the creation date along with modified date and last access date.
Oh but it doesn't do that. That's the whole issue. It says "Creation Date" but really shows me the Last Modified date. So for this one file I created like in March, it's telling me Creation Date: today. On the general tab on Properties, and then again in the Details tab.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, stupid question here.

If for some reason you are saving this file constantly are you doing a "save" or a "save as" ? If save as, then technically its saving it as a new file and will have that day as the creation date. If you are doing save then its updating the original file and the creation date won't change.

jo86

Ok, stupid question here.

If for some reason you are saving this file constantly are you doing a "save" or a "save as" ? If save as, then technically its saving it as a new file and will have that day as the creation date. If you are doing save then its updating the original file and the creation date won't change.
Not stupid at all, in fact you may be right on the money. I'm guessing this is what happens with that program then. It's a music making software, and I open the session and work on it every day or so. I'm guessing every time I save, it does the equivalent technically of a 'Save As', although that is not what I'm clicking, I just click Save. It sucks because I'd love to know when the hell I started working on this one project... but I can't ! On these files, the Creation Date is always the Last Modified Date.

beers

Staff member
Depends how the software interacts with the file system, I assume other files like text from notepad don't exhibit the same behavior?

If someone coded in like a delete-and-replace function for save then you'll always see that.

jo86

Depends how the software interacts with the file system, I assume other files like text from notepad don't exhibit the same behavior?

If someone coded in like a delete-and-replace function for save then you'll always see that.
I reckon that's what it is, yes. Other files on my hard drive don't do that now that I've checked explicitly. You're right. Wow, that sucks lol ! It would be nice to know because with mixing music you spend months upon months mixing that one song so it would be nice to keep track of when one starts a project. I guess I'll have to keep a freakin log for it now.