Windows programs randomly dissapearing...

Underground_Evo

Recently, my computer has just been loosing programs!

I have lost MSPaint,my volume controls, calculator and many other windows pre-installed programs.

I have run Norton AV 2004, Spybot, Ad-Aware, and SpySweeper.

NOTHING can find a virus, adware or anything!!! It is really getting annoying! I can't even have System Recovery anymore!

Does anyone know what the problem is and the solotuion?

Thank you, Philip

PcBoss

I know what your problem is, This certainly is a virus but iam not sure what type of virus it may be, It must have been programmed very carefully since norton did not detect it... :mad:

I would advice you to try avg free version, maybe that will detect it as norton and avg detects similar viruses, Iam 85% sure it is a virus... Give me some tips... :)

Does your system lock up on you? does your system run slow? Do you get any errors at all? Go to start > Run > type: MSCONFIG > Go to the startup tab and check your startup files...

There you can see if anything pulls your attention... :eek:

Regards

PcBoss

Underground_Evo

Yes, but another thing i found is that in the add/remove Windows components, the box for accesories was un-checked.

This would be almost impossible to do from my system! I don't have the Win XP Pro cd, which i would need to remove those programs! (also why i can't put them back on!)

Thank you for your reply, i will check that other virus scanner.

~UGE

kharmini91

I don't really think it's a virus. It's probably someone hacking into your computer... There's something called NetBus that puts something on your computer named Patch but really is a backdoor. AVG or Norton would detect that, though. Try a firewall, do you have the Windows firewall activated? After that run an Ad-aware and make sure there's no Tracking cookies (just a thought...).

kharmini91

I didn't really explain that Windows firewall well. Go to Network Connections- right click on your internet connecton. Click Properties, go to the Advanced tab and check the "Internet Connection Firewall" box.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
This would be almost impossible to do from my system! I don't have the Win XP Pro cd, which I would need to remove those programs!
I dont think you need the CD to uninstall those components

I didn't really explain that Windows firewall well. Go to Network Connections- right click on your internet connecton. Click Properties, go to the Advanced tab and check the "Internet Connection Firewall" box.
Eeeeeeeerm.... i guess ICF is better than nothng.... but really you should look into a real firewall :) ZoneAlarm and Agnitum have free versions of their firewalls :)

Underground_Evo

I have ZoneAlarm Pro. And SpySweeper. (all constantly running)

I got my Win XP cd out and re-installed them all in a matter of seconds.

Seems to be working fine now, if anything else happens i will be sure to post it.

Thanks for all the help guys!