Windows Setup unable to find SSD

Catsanddogs123

Hello.

Due to recent problematic system I decided to fresh reinstall my computer but when I’m told to chose where to install windows in Windows Setup I cannot see my SSD, only my HDD.

My SSD is getting power supply and is showing up in BIOS and in device management. However it is not showing up in “Manage and create partitions” menu as a black unallocted device.

Will provide with further intimation and pictures.

Thanks in advance.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You probably need to load the SATA driver from a flashdrive in order for it to detect it

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What motherboard and what SSD are you using? I take it you are trying to install Windows 10?

Darren

Staff member
Try toggling your RAID mode in BIOS? I've seen that make drives not show up in Windows Setup.

Probably want to be in AHCI mode, might be in ATA mode.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That specific model won't even load on Asus website to check specs or drivers. Was windows originally installed on the SSD or something else? Try a different sata port?

Pupp

This is one of those types of problems that make it difficult to diagnose without being physically at a person's computer.

Catsanddogs123

That specific model won't even load on Asus website to check specs or drivers. Was windows originally installed on the SSD or something else? Try a different sata port?
Yes windows was originally installed on the SSD. I tried switching the HDD and SSD sata cables. No result.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Yes will do. However I’m a little unsure where to find the driver. Do you know where to get the right one? I’m using ASUS Z87M plus motherboard and KINGSTON SV300S37A 120G SSD
Here you go. Once you download it, extract the files to either your install USB or another USB. When you get to the part where it has you select a disk, choose Drive Options (Advanced) and select "Load Driver". Browse to the SATA driver file and select it.

Catsanddogs123

Here you go. Once you download it, extract the files to either your install USB or another USB. When you get to the part where it has you select a disk, choose Drive Options (Advanced) and select "Load Driver". Browse to the SATA driver file and select it.

Thanks. Unfortunately I’m unable to find the driver in the “Load Driver” window. Nothing comes up. What could I be doing wrong here?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I bet if you reformat the ssd it will show up during installation. Make sure you disconnect all other drives before booting to the install media so that the boot files don't get placed on the other drives. This may be one of the times that it's a mbr/gpt issue. I've seen this a few times and reformatting has fixed it

DavidG

I agree with @johnb35 it is probably a GPT/MBR issue

Try this: Disconnect any other drives apart from the SSD. Start the windows install as before
When you choose custom install press Shift F10 to get to the command prompt
Type diskpart
list disk
There will be two disks listed the SSD and the USB flash drive listed as disk 0 and disk 1
select the SSD - disk 0 or disk 1 as appropriate
Type
clean
exit
exit
The disk should now be listed in to allow you to continue and install windows

Last edited:

Catsanddogs123

I agree with @johnb35 it is probably a GPT/MBR issue

Try this: Disconnect any other drives apart from the SSD. Start the windows install as before
When you choose custom install press Shift F10 to get to the command prompt
Type diskpart
list disk
There will be two disks listed the SSD and the USB flash drive listed as disk 0 and disk 1
select the SSD - disk 0 or disk 1 as appropriate
Type
clean
exit
exit
The disk should now be listed in to allow you to continue and install windows
SSD not showing up in list disk