\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt

MacDiesel

I am getting the "Windows could not start because the following is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system" error when I tried to boot up. I have spent numerous hours searching the net to find a fix, but nothing is working. This pc is a Dell Dimension 8400 with XP. I have tried the whole recovey console bit and everything else on google. Could someone please help me. I beg you!

Deepblue

Boot up with your dell OS disk and select windows repair, or if you know someone with a windows disk you can use it to boot to and repair windows.

codeman0013

To help out a little dells usually have a one time boot menu by pressing the f12 key put the cd in and boot using this menu to the cd or if you have to set it in bios we can help if you need help with that. When you boot to the cd select the repair option and it will ask you to log into windows usually simply pressing 1 and then enter gets you a command prompt. When you see this prompt type chkdsk/r and do that a few times this will take a while and generally when it gets to like 75% it will reset to 50% about 5 or 6 or more times thats normal. Let it go and then run it again when it finishes and then try to boot into windows like normal...