Windows virus protection vs Nortons

I am running Windows XP and have Norton Antivirus protection. Should I also leave the Windows virus protection ON that is listed in the Windows Security Window?

linkin

VIP Member
Norton is a horrible program, please something like Avast, Avira or AVG Free. To your question, NO, turn windows security off. the firewall and everything.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Norton is a horrible program, please something like Avast, Avira or AVG Free. To your question, NO, turn windows security off. the firewall and everything.

I hope you aren't telling him to turn the windows firewall off? I admit its not the best thing in the world but at least its somewhat protecting his system.

I am running Windows XP and have Norton Antivirus protection. Should I also leave the Windows virus protection ON that is listed in the Windows Security Window?

Windows XP doesn't have built in Virus protection. What the security center is reading for virus protection is nortons. Which version of nortons do you have?

I would highly recommend uninstalling it and installing either AVG, Avira, Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials.

I have Norton Systemworks Premier 2005. As a noob, I've already got the message that Norton's is inferior. I'm getting a new computer in a couple of weeks and plan on installing one of the ones you suggested. I just thought that as long as I payed for the antivirus protection I would take advantage of it. But another question - why does everyone hate Norton's? Oh, and thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate the help.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Well, the older versions of Nortons were resource hogs. I would really think about uninstalling the version you have and using one of the programs that was suggested. You will notice a difference in your computer's speed on bootup.

OK, if money wasn't a concern, which of the ones above would you go with and why. Also do I need to uninstall using the discs or is there something else on Norton's site that I would need? Thanks