Windows Vista and AdAware

peter912

Is AdAware necessary to have for windows vista ? Windows Vista does a good job in blocking pop ups so why would one need to add AdAware also ?I had it with Windows XP but I never saw it find anything when it did a scan.

Encryptor

Ad-Aware does I lot more than stop popup's, it's their to detect and remove malicious programs that's infected your Computer.

A standard list of recommended software/Hardware to help protect your privacy and Computer are:

1) Ad-Aware - Adware/tracking detection and remover
2) SpyBot - Spyware/Malware detection and remover
3) An Anti-Virus program: Most use AVG Free edition
4) CCleaner and Glary Utilities
5) Hijackthis
6) Rootkit detector like F-Secure BlackLight
7) A Hardware Router to help prevent direct infections/attacks from the Net

I go down a slightly different path, I have all the above software/hardware but when I'm online I use VMware which protects my main operating system from getting infected by any malware,adware,spyware etc.

Take a look at free software like virtualbox for windows or pay a small amount for VMware, just Google them for more information.

Encryptor
Linux rocks the planet...

Last edited:

peter912

Ad-Aware does I lot more than stop popup's, it's their to detect and remove malicious programs that's infected your Computer.

A standard list of recommended software/Hardware to help protect your privacy and Computer are:

1) Ad-Aware - Adware/tracking detection and remover
2) SpyBot - Spyware/Malware detection and remover
3) An Anti-Virus program: Most use AVG Free edition
4) CCleaner and Glary Utilities
5) Hijackthis
6) Rootkit detector like F-Secure BlackLight
7) A Hardware Router to help prevent direct infections/attacks from the Net

I go down a slightly different path, I have all the above software/hardware but when I'm online I use VMware which protects my main operating system from getting infected by any malware,adware,spyware etc.

Take a look at free software like virtualbox for windows or pay a small amount for VMware, just Google them for more information.

Encryptor

Does my McAfee not "detect and remove malicious programs that infected my computer" like AdAware would ?

Also do these numerous programs which you have installed to protect your computer not slow down your start up time ?

Thank-you,
Peter

Encryptor

Does my McAfee not "detect and remove malicious programs that infected my computer" like AdAware would ?

There are different level's of protection, McAfee's is ok, but you have to remember that no software detects all malicious programs, the list I posted are the one's that users have had the greater success.

Also do these numerous programs which you have installed to protect your computer not slow down your start up time ?

Thank-you,
Peter

No, I've not seen any slowdown with these programs.

Encryptor