Windows Vista Fierwall Secure?

americanlt

My current Norton Internet Security Suite will be running out & I need new protection. I saw AVG and Webroot Anti-virus/Spyware on sale for $20bucks. However, it does not include a firewall. Will my windows vista firewall be sufficient?

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I only use the free version of AVG and windows firewall. Depends on how secure you want to be. Windows firewall only blocks incoming requests not outgoing.

Vamilvas

If you want a firewall some good free ones are online armor, comodo, pctools, and outpost. Instead of buying AVG and picking up a firewall you could go with comodo, it offers full internet security for free.

Last edited:

linkin

VIP Member
I have the paid version of AVG, the firewall is good. I haven't been infected since i installed it.

Method9

I think Windows Firewall has a bad reputation that it is somehow inferior to 3rd party firewalls. I think this probably came to be because for so many years it was disabled by default up until service pack 2.

Windows firewall for Vista and Windows 7 do perform some outbound traffic blocking, although it can be considered a bit of a gimmick to some--the whole idea that you are already compromised if you need to block outbound traffic so why bother.

I'd like to point out that software firewalls do not necessarily block infections. In fact, your firewall doesn't block port 80 at all and this is the port you might most likely receive an infection from--the HTTP port.

gamblingman

VIP Member
I would consider the windows firewall adaquate for most people. But if you dont mind a little extra time spent on getting used to a firewall and Anti-Virus, then why not snag one of the free ones on the list we have up:

****List of Security Programs to Use****

If it were me, I'd most likely go with COMODO for the firewall and Anti-Virus protection. I prefer to have an outbound/inbound firewall protection so that I know everything that is happening on my machine. I currently use Trend Micro with Anti-Virus and Firewall and I love it and plan to update my plan in January, but you have to pay for it.

One thing I like about inbound and outbound is the knowledge of the outbound traffic. I like knowing which programs are "talking" (so to speak).

(EDIT) Oh an when (and if) you remove Norton make absolutely sure you use the appropriate Norton uninstaller. Be sure to get the correct uninstaller for your exact version of Norton!
Get the uninstaller from Norton here: Norton Removal Tool

Last edited: