Windows wont boot??

CharmPeddler

hi guys, i'm all the sudden having a problem with my pc. for some reason beyond me, i can't seem to get the computer to fully boot into windows, it gets as far as the windows boot screen and then after 1 or 2 "scroll bars" it will allofasudden reboot. the most that i get out of it is something about the realtek boot agent. it was working fine a few hours ago, all that i've done is to install the drivers for the Xbox-360 controller, so i can use it for my roms. i dont know for sure, but i really dont see that messing with the system in a way that would cause this kind of problem.

so far i have tried to set all the boot options to only the HDD, i have unplugged the lan cable(read up on it on google) and have even tried to unplug the CMOS batter and power cable and wait a few mins to reset it, but no luck. any ideas at all???

thanks in advance.

Bodaggit23

Can you get it to boot into safe mode? Then maybe you could uninstall the
drivers or do a system restore?

CharmPeddler

unfortunatly for the last 2 hours i was only able to see the option of boot into safemode once, i tried the safemode, but it stoped at the "avg" and the did a reboot, and kept rebooting as usuall.

Edit: BTW thanks for your quick responce, this late in the night.

Last edited:

Bodaggit23

We talking XP here? Prebuilt system or custom build?

If you have an XP disc, try putting that in and start
the pc. Press ESC while it's booting and you should
get to the install screen. Act like you're going to install
but choose the "Repair" option. See how that goes.

CharmPeddler

well i'm not too familiar with the boot recovery console but i googled a few things and the best i could come up with was the "chkdsk" command. it said that it was ok from what it could tell. any ideas from here?

DCIScouts

VIP Member
That's like running an error check within Windows itself. That boot recovery console is a pretty powerful tool, so be careful what you do. If you have the Windows disk, you may be able to do a repair operation on the OS. The best option would really be to try and restore to a previous point, but I totally understand that you probably can't do that, either...

3uL

Use recovery disk to do chkdsk. That might the help. I did this in my friends laptop and it worked!

CharmPeddler

well "fixmbr" didn't work either, so i'm going to bed. thanks for the ideas / info guys, i'll check back here first thing in the morning.

Bodaggit23

The Recovery Console will wipe the system and restore it back to
it's original purchased condition. All your data will be gone.

If you have a windows disk that would be best, but if not, I guess
Recovery could be your last option.

Bob692006

CharmPeddler, the Recovery Console wasn't what Bodaggit23 was referring to in his/her second post. Your trying to use the Recovery Console which, on an NTFS file system, doesn't really do much outside of giving you Read permissions to find missing files in the Windows install directories and run a few tools. What you should try to do is boot from the XP install disk and follow the instructions in this article: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm. If running a Repair Install of Windows doesn't work, your unfortunately most likely looking at having to do a full re-install of Windows. I had a similar problem like your having but it was from moving a HDD from an Intel-based system to an AMD-based system. Good luck and let us know what happens.

CharmPeddler

hey Bodaggit23 thanks for the warning.

and Bob, i actually found that same page last night, i was able to get it to work just fine. only thing now, is i dont have the key i used. so i'm having to call windows, and ask for another key. thanks for the help guys, i've learned a lot so far.