Windows wont recognize second Hardrive

ZER0X

VIP Member
I recently purchased a 40gb HD western something and BIOS recognized it and windows has put it on....BUT....It wont show up in my computer. The jumper is set to slave even windows says it slave but in my computer it aint there :(

I have winxp home (I'm sure it aint the service pack(although I have service pack 1)) I've had this problem with a friend of mine but he fixed it by putting win2k on it :eek:

mgoldb2

VIP Member
Have it been formated? sometimes in brand new hard drive, it won't show in explorer or in mycomputer but will show up in device manager. check if it shows it in device manager if it does Format the new drive and it should work.

ZER0X

VIP Member
Have it been formated? sometimes in brand new hard drive, it won't show in explorer or in mycomputer but will show up in device manager. check if it shows it in device manager if it does Format the new drive and it should work.

How exactly do I format a drive thats not there, Device manager shows it but I can't format it through Device manager

mgoldb2

VIP Member
hmm see if this work

Go to Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management

hopfully it will see the new harddrive here and then

Click on the small section that says "Unknown" or "Not Initialized".
Right click and select "Initialize Disk" then right click on the right
portion of the next window and select "New Partition" to start the New
Partition Wizard.

you'll find instructions with graphics which will walk you through

after it been partition it should show up so you can format it.

ZER0X

VIP Member
Done thanks man....I was in there just b4 looking at those settings, I was promted to restart my computer but when I did, then I tried wot you said and it worked :D cheers