Window's won't start, not even from boot disk

stygian7

I have an old Compaq Presario 7000 (7AP140). It used to work just fine, but
now, if I turn it on, it just goes to a screen that says Compaq...nothing else. I thought maybe Windows needed to be reinstalled, so I tried a Window's 98 floppy boot disk...still nothing. I also tried a Window's 2000 and XP cd-rom. I have no idea what's going on as this computer never showed any signs of problems.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
-Kevin

[tab]

[...]
Sounds like your HDD may have failed... when the computer starts follow the directions to enter your CMOS setup and change the boot drive to your floppy or CD drive.

stygian7

Thats the thing, I don't even get a screen where I can enter the CMOS setup :( . It powers up directly to the "compaq" screen; is there any hope for this computer?
Thanks for the help,
Kevin

Death_Shadow

stygian7 said:
Search of Google Groups for what?
Thanks for all the help so far,
Kevin

Erm... usually this is a problem with your processor or motherboard malfunctioning. Usually it's the motherboard, they may be a short in it somewhere or it may have just blown, not a clue, have you tried looking inside or possiby replacing hte motherboard?

nomav6

had a friend that had the same problem with his Compaq, so I went to one of the local computer shops and got a small HDD really cheap just to test it and that was the problem, but before spending the $5-10 on a old HDD I would check to make sure none of the cables have came loose. Hope this helps

UrbanDragon

Try doing this. Unplug the power from the back of your computer. hold power button in for 30sec to 1 min.
disconnect all third party devices.. printer,scanner,webcam.etc..... then reconnect your power cable then try. what you are seeing is the Compaq bios splash screen.

Try this before dropping money into a possible hdd failure when you aren't even getting past the BIOS POST test.

Jimbob1989

banned
It may be something different. I once installed a second virus scanner with Norton. The 2 programs used simular proccesses and trying to login was impossible. I tried to do system recovery and it said a certain file was corrupted. I checked and it was used by both virus scanners.

Jimbob