windows won't stop rebooting

sizk

hi,
windows keeps on rebooting after 1 min or 2 using it. i thought i found the problem when i realized 1 of my 2 ram 'thing' was dead and i only had 256M instead of 760. since i know memory (only) can cause the computer to reboot i removed it but it just keeps on rebooting again and again.

thx for your help

sizk

no, removing the ram didn't fix anything and it seems to have nothing to do with the matter, just a bad coincidence...
i believe the problem comes from new drivers i installed for my radeon. i'll try downgrading to my old ones and see what i get.

sizk

damn, it's getting hard to deal with the drivers while the computer keeps on rebooting. i've uninstalled the recent ones in safe mode, successfull. i've uninstalled the ati's catalyst control center in normal mode but there were problems with 2 files. i've tried to reinstall the old drivers in normal mode but it rebooted before it ends, now i get error message trying to uninstall them... what can i do??

apj101

VIP Member
hold on you say it keeps rebooting, is there any kind of mssage that pops up. or does it just shutdown instantly without warning

sizk

apj101 said:
hold on you say it keeps rebooting, is there any kind of mssage that pops up. or does it just shutdown instantly without warning

no warning, it just gives time to windows to shutdown 'proprerly', which i believe wouldn't happen if it was sthg with the ram.
now, it seems anytime i try to reinstall the old drivers, it'll reboot while installing the ati's control panel...

sizk

stupid question: it doesn't make sense to install the drivers in safe mode, does it?
anyway, the fact is, the computer won't reboot in safe mode so it's to be some software causing the crap. the only thing i know, so far :(

apj101

VIP Member
yeah, boot to safe mode, run the stickys that are suggested in the thread i posted, lets see if some malicious software is causing your problems

sizk

apj101 said:
you can install them without installing the control panel, just choose the drivers only download packages, or deselect it during setup.

i'll give this a try
about the adwares, i didn't try yet to run ad-aware & spybot in safe mode, this shall be my next step

apj101

VIP Member
also as a very tempary measure you could get into normal mode windows for a while by creating a bat file (a file with the extension .bat) and typing

:loop
shutdown -a
goto loop

it will probably hog your computers resources a bit, but you sould be able to use the comp in normal mode enough to get what you need done.

sizk

i've ran spybot and ad-aware but it didn't fix it and i can't run the online AV in safe mode.
what's next? :(

sizk

apj101 said:
also as a very tempary measure you could get into normal mode windows for a while by creating a bat file (a file with the extension .bat) and typing

:loop
shutdown -a
goto loop

it will probably hog your computers resources a bit, but you sould be able to use the comp in normal mode enough to get what you need done.

oh ok, sorry, didn't see that. where should the file be created?

sizk

sizk said:
oh ok, sorry, didn't see that. where should the file be created?

got it! i'm on the sick comp. just, it doesn't hog the resources only 'a bit' ;)
anyway, i'll be running both AV now but... in case, do you have any idea what else could cause this?

sizk

can't it be sthg with the memory after all? would it also reboot in safe mode if it was the case?
or maybe the graphic card that's damaged?

sizk

ok, i've down it all and also ran 'registry fix'... i couldn't say which one did it, but it did! :D

thx for your help!