Windows XP 64bit

twitchtwice

I have a few questions. I have xp right now, I just built my new system(see specs) and i have 3 gigs ram installed right now because i hear the xp doesnt support 4. I was wondering if, since i have a 64 bit quad, putting the 64 bit version would allow better performance and allow the last stick of ram. Im pretty sure that the last stick of ram would work, but i wonder if there is a performance increase becaues of the 64 bit change.

Also, I was wondering if anyone is having any problems running any programs that standard xp would run no problem.

footballdude2k3

ok i could be wrong on this, but i thought that it was not the os that did not recognize the last stick of ram but the 32 bit processor that did not do it, i thought that if you upgraded to the 64 you would be ok

twitchtwice

See i have no idea, i havnt ever had this much ram. Someone i work with told me that on standard xp it wont recognize the last gig. Now i havnt even tried it, and i honestly dont care if it doesnt work, i mainly play counter strike source and burn movies, and i have a quad core with and a somewhat high end gpu, 4 gigs will almost be pointless, but i got 4 gigs for $89 and they came in packs of 2. the main reason i build my compouter the way i did was because its fully upgradeable. 4x pci x16 slots and the new am2+ processor, that way i dont have to buy new mobo later. That way later on down the road i can get more ram(2gig sticks) and more gpu's. Ect.

Anyways back to the point. My main concern was wether or not I would see a performance increase with 64 bit installed. Ive never even been on a computer with it and was wondering if it pulled a little more power out of my cpu because its 64 bit.

footballdude2k3

ok as far as i know the 32 bit processor only supported 3.5 gb of ram, and the 64 bit processor is supposed to support i believe 128 gb of ram, so as far as i know the regular version of xp would be the 32 bit version, so i believe that you should be ok, i would just put in the last stick of ram and boot up the computer and see if it recognizes it in your system.

twitchtwice

Yeah but I want to know if its going give me a performance boots because its the 64bit version of windows. Like will my apps be better run on my cpu because it is 64bit

ride3k

its not the processor that matters, its the OS, you need 64bit OS to recognize >~3.25gb of RAM.

Keep you in mind you still need a 64bit capable processor but almost every processor is nowadays anyways

twitchtwice

i just finished potting it on. nothing really different. Driver cd didn't work as nice as xp pro, but i just went to browse disk and found all the files. Only thing is the audio drivers didn't work but I'm getting them off the website for 64