Windows XP and HDDs

ojfoggin

Is there a limit to the size of HDD you canput in a machine running XP Pro??

I heard something about XP not liking it if you put too much HDD in a PC but then I have seen people with 4 x 200 Mb HDDs and this far exceeds the maximum I heard about?

I am thinking of getting a bigger HDD and was wanting to get this sorted.

Thanks
Oliver

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
There is a partition limit of 127GB (or was it 137GB cant remember). You can shove as much as you want as long as you respect that boundary. As for 4x200MB HDD :p I thin thats 200GB :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah i figured as much... but as long as you stay within the 127GB limit you should be fine :)

Grimulus

It's 127 Praetor. I have a 160gb drive and I have like 21gigs unallocated. I just made a new partition with that. I think that sucks for windows but it's a fact. Far as I can tell though you can have as many HDD's as you want. I just have one question. What if you ran out of letters? That would be hilarious but what would windows do? blow up? :p

Grimulus

Okay. I never thought about that until just now. having 26 drives to me means unlimited. :p I don't think I will ever go past L. :p

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Lucky bastard :p I gotta remember where i keep stuff whether its R: or S: Then throw in the virtual drives and things get messy.

Grimulus

I've do some virtual drives as well. My solution to keeping things organized to buy a good sized hard drive and keep it well organized and clean. I know sometimes the bigger ones are little slower because of so much space, but I like to know where all my stuff is at.

charly

to reach to 26 letters is'nt that difficult. 1st i installed my 8 in 1 usb like i thought and got 1 drive, but after i did it like the manual said i got 8 drives more. now i'm at P !
i'm glad i did not install the printer with usb slots otherwise i'm at T *LOL*