Windows XP Hot Fix ?

gj4utoo

Under my control panel in programs, I have 140 hot fix updates most are security updates , could these be slowing my computer down ?

Should I remove them if they are ?

Last edited:

G25r8cer

It wont slow your pc down!! XP automatically shows hotfix updates in the add/remove programs. They are annoying in xp when searching through the list and I DONT recommend you remove those as most of them are important to yuor pc.

AdmnPower

VIP Member
hotfixes are typically windows security updates, so if you were to remove them i would think that if you have automaic updates enabled that they will automatically get reinstalled anyway, and if you don't have auto update turned on then you will get the option to reinstall them if and when you visit windows update. If your computer is running slow check task manager to see how many processes you have running in the background. If there are a lot then you probably have a lot of bloat ware on your pc. Around 40 is typically ok, anything abouve that is a bit excessive.

PC eye

banned
Want a quick way to free up resources? Open up the msconfig utility by typing msconfig in at the Run prompt and pressing enter. Look in the Startup tab on the far right for anything you don't need loading up along with Windows!

Anything you disable there can be re-enabled later if you happen to knock out something needed for the video card or sound card if installed. A quick look in the services tab with the "hide all microsoft services" box checked to avoid disabling any essentials will also show all 3rd party background services running.

Have you defragged the hard drive at all? Occasionally over a period of time fragmentation will occur with files stored for long periods. Besides that a good reigistry cleaning tool can also help correct now invalid and useless entries lingering in there too. These are a few common tips for seeing Windows run better.