Windows Xp-I sign in, background appears but no icons/taskbar.

tarheel2660

I was having weird problems randomly today like AIM not connecting and internet explorer not opening, so I rebooted and found that when I log in it gets through log in screen and then stops with the background loaded and no taskbars or icons.

Alphatronix

OWWWW OWWWWW...... Had the same problem...

Well if you installed any programs that change windows like "Desktop X" or "Window Blinds" ect. then dont bother trying anything. Might as well reformat drive... If you recieve "ERROR: Couldn't anitialize Service" then dont bother and reformat drive...

IF you right click on desktop and nothing appears then reformat drive..

Basically, press CTRL+ALT+DEL and log off, then log back on and if all your icons and tool bar appears, then dont bother and reformat drive unless you dont mind logging off and on every time...

Prior to this problem, try to remember if you uninstalled any programs that issued you to delete a file that another program might be using... If you did, then definitly reformat drive.

Super_Nova

If that doesn't work press ctrl+alt+del and click new task and then type in explorer.exe and see if that doesn't get them to show up.