Windows XP media center 2005

SFR

Truth fears no questions
First off, I have read some reviews that say it is media center + windows XP HOME edition.

They are off, its run with the same features as the pro edition plus the media center.

First of all I have the new 2005 edition and LOVE IT.

The interface has been dramatically improved. The TV quality, with the right video card is very good on small and medium television and computer monitors.. but on LARGE SCREEN TV's.. begins to lose quality.

I can (with my tv tuner) watch live tv. record tv. instantly pause and rewind live tv just like TIVO. There is a tv guide where you can view 2 weeks worth of tv shows and record shows by time or series.

You can listen to music watch videos, look at pictures or listen to the radio along with watching dvd's all through the media center.

I bought a new dell.. and for $39 extra.. it was well worth the purchase!

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
One is designed to work with a TV and other related theater type stuff more natively, the other is more of a traditional OS :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Me said:
One is designed to work with a TV and other related theater type stuff more natively, the other is more of a traditional OS
Not really comparable ... one is designed for the living room the other designed for say a computer-room :) WXPMC2005 is WXPMC2004 with enhancements and features

robina_80

so you wouldnt advise me to get it because im not going to be using it to watch tv make videos music etc so isnt it a new operating system so its just a media center thingy to watch record stuff on it

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Well logic would say, WXPMC would cost more than plain WXP so purely from a financial perspective, buying WXPMC without using the features is a waste. Its up to you but probably not.

robina_80

i may just get it because its a new version of xp, 3 years newer and its got media stuff incase i want to use it in the near future or future

SFR

Truth fears no questions
robina_80 said:
i may just get it because its a new version of xp, 3 years newer and its got media stuff incase i want to use it in the near future or future

The OS itself is not different. SP2 has upgraded various things.. but that upgrade is for all XP editions.

Media center 2005, like I already said, is windows XP professional + a media center application used for watching television (like TIVO), listening to music, looking at photos and a dvd player.

robina_80

so its Windows XP SP2, just the added functions of watching tv video music and pictures, still good i may get it. thanks

SFR

Truth fears no questions
no prob.

Remember, you need a tv tuner to watch tv.
(and if a company is offering 2005 MCE... they might offer the tv tuner at an additional cost)

Verrona

Media Centre is a program not an os!!!

I'll explain, the os itself is Windows XP Pro with a program that u can run (The media centre). u basically watch TV (it's like Free View), u can watch slid shows of pictures whiloe listening to music and also dont forget u can listen to digital radio thru it.

That is basically all the Media Centre does. I know this because i use to sell the Media Centre!! The Beta version on PC's....

Go with Linux much better than Windows by far