Windows XP Startup Problem

JJF60950

Computer: Acer Veriton M410 Desktop Computer

My aunt had caught one of those anti-virus 2009 type viruses. She had done a system restore but now the computer is stuck in some sort of loop. When she turns on her computer it takes her to the screen that offers the following options:

• Safemode
  • Normal
  • Safemode with cmd
  • Safemode with networking

Regardless of which one she picks it just brings her back to the same screen. She has some important files that she doesn't want to lose otherwise I would just automatically do a reformat. I'm hoping this computer has a recovery partition so I can do a reformat and still get her files later.

Does anyone have any possible solutions? I tried Google to find out if this computer has a recovery partition but couldn't find any. Another problem is that she doesn't have her OS disk so I guess I'll have to burn one. Thanks in advance.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have another system where you can take the hard drive out of hers and put it in there and do a virus/malware scan on it? Its also possible you will need to do a diskcheck on it first. The diskcheck should allow it to boot back into windows.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Computer: Acer Veriton M410 Desktop Computer

My aunt had caught one of those anti-virus 2009 type viruses. She had done a system restore but now the computer is stuck in some sort of loop. When she turns on her computer it takes her to the screen that offers the following options:

• Safemode
  • Normal
  • Safemode with cmd
  • Safemode with networking

Regardless of which one she picks it just brings her back to the same screen. She has some important files that she doesn't want to lose otherwise I would just automatically do a reformat. I'm hoping this computer has a recovery partition so I can do a reformat and still get her files later.

Does anyone have any possible solutions? I tried Google to find out if this computer has a recovery partition but couldn't find any. Another problem is that she doesn't have her OS disk so I guess I'll have to burn one. Thanks in advance.

Do the following:

-Copy all important data on the USB stick or the USB hard disk drive by using the Ubuntu Linux version 9.04.You can find the simple ".iso" file of that Ubuntu Linux version 9.04 on the internet and burn it to your CD using programs such as Power Iso.Then simply just boot from that CD and choose the option called "Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer".That option will simply turn ON the Ubuntu 9.04 operating system directly from your CD without installing ANYTHING and you will be able to save your data.After the Ubuntu has fully loaded and you got to the Ubuntu desktop,to save all your important data,go to "Places"->"Computer" and there open your HDD that has Windows on it and there copy all the important data and paste it in your USB stick or the USB hard disk drive

-After you have copied all your important data to some safe place by using the Ubuntu 9.04,try to do the repair of the Windows XP by using the XP CD-ROM disk.Just boot from the Windows XP CD and choose the option "To set up Windows XP now,press ENTER.".After that press F8 that you confirm that you agree with the EULA and after that you will probably see your Windows XP partition and you will have 2 options:

--->"To repair the selected Windows XP installation,press R"
--->"To continue installing a fresh copy of Windows XP without repairing,press ESC"

Just press the "R" button on your keyboard and wait until the Windows XP repair process is finished.

NOTE: After the Windows XP repair process is finished,all your updates will be gone such as newer IE then IE 6,updates for Windows XP itself,updates for IE and so on.Also if the Windows XP CD with which you are doing this repair process has XP SP1 or SP2 on it,newer XP SP such as XP SP3 will be replaced with the XP SP version which is on the Windows XP CD with which you are doing the repair.But I dont think that none of this should be a problem since you can always install the updates and service packs after the XP repair process is finished.;)

Cheers!

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Thanks for the info guys! I have dl'd a cracked version of XP from btjunkie but I'm having a little trouble. It says I should burn the iso image on to a disk. I do not see an iso file though, just these:

• 8 folders
  • 2 readme files
  • autorun.inf
  • setup.exe
  • win51
  • win51lp
  • win51lp.sp3

I would like to help you with that,but that's against the rules.Borrow the Windows XP CD from someone...

JJF60950

Thanks again guys and sorry for posting that, I deleted it. I used the Ubuntu to get the files and then installed a fresh copy of XP. There is just one problem I have to solve. After I reformatted the internet stopped working. It has a Comcast connection (wired). The connection to the modem is fine though. Basically there is no communication between the modem and computer. The ethernet wire is hooked up fine and everything though. When I was using the Ubuntu the "Link" light on the modem was working but once I finished the reformat it turned off. I'm thinking I just need a driver for the ethernet card if that makes any sense.

When I go to "network connections" the screen is empty. I tried to create a connection but it just doesn't appear. I'm thinking the easiest solution would be to just get a new ethernet card and install it. Any thoughts? My aunt lives like 45 min away so taking that drive again is going to suck so I want to make sure I finish the job completely when I go back tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

Respital

Thanks again guys and sorry for posting that, I deleted it. I used the Ubuntu to get the files and then installed a fresh copy of XP. There is just one problem I have to solve. After I reformatted the internet stopped working. It has a Comcast connection (wired). The connection to the modem is fine though. Basically there is no communication between the modem and computer. The ethernet wire is hooked up fine and everything though. When I was using the Ubuntu the "Link" light on the modem was working but once I finished the reformat it turned off. I'm thinking I just need a driver for the ethernet card if that makes any sense.

When I go to "network connections" the screen is empty. I tried to create a connection but it just doesn't appear. I'm thinking the easiest solution would be to just get a new ethernet card and install it. Any thoughts? My aunt lives like 45 min away so taking that drive again is going to suck so I want to make sure I finish the job completely when I go back tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

It sounds as though you didn't install the drivers for the internet, without them it is impossible to access it. To find the drivers you have to go to the website of your computer manufacturer and there should be a link to them there, if not post back I'm sure someone can find them for you.

JJF60950

Thanks a lot guys! I just called them and had them look and sure enough there wasn't even a network adapter icon in their device manager. I downloaded the driver above. I didn't see a .exe file though so what is the best way to install it? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Go into device manager and click on the device, click on update driver and point the update to the folder where you downloaded the driver and it should see the new driver.

JJF60950

Thanks John. I'm a little mixed up though. In the device manager there isn't an option for network adapter. Would it be called something different?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Could be labeled as pci device or unknown device with a question mark to it. How many items in device manager have a yellow question mark by it?

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Thanks John. I'm a little mixed up though. In the device manager there isn't an option for network adapter. Would it be called something different?

You don't see the "Network adapters" in the Device Manager?
Hmm...is the network card connected to your computer???Because if not then you won't see it in the Device Manager...

JJF60950

Thanks again guys. I'm going to be going over there soon. I can't get ahold of them to see what is in there device manager. I had talked to them yesterday and had them look for the network adapter but they said there was none. Their ethernet card was working fine before the reformat so its weird that it isn't showing up. I guess I will just try and install a new ethernet card and hope that fixes everything. What do you guys think?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks again guys. I'm going to be going over there soon. I can't get ahold of them to see what is in there device manager. I had talked to them yesterday and had them look for the network adapter but they said there was none. Their ethernet card was working fine before the reformat so its weird that it isn't showing up. I guess I will just try and install a new ethernet card and hope that fixes everything. What do you guys think?

Please refer back to my last post. If none of those devices show up then it also could be disabled in the bios.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You would be surprised. my usb 2.0 got changed in the bios and i didn't touch it at all one time. I reinstalled windows and noticed i didn't have 2.0 functionality and went into the bios and saw that it got changed.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
You would be surprised. my usb 2.0 got changed in the bios and i didn't touch it at all one time. I reinstalled windows and noticed i didn't have 2.0 functionality and went into the bios and saw that it got changed.

Wow....of ALL problems I got with computers,I never had something like this.:D

I did however have that my BIOS in my laptop got crazy and suddenly started asking for a password,(which he got God knows where),to enter either in the BIOS or HDD.
And it happened 2 times and I didnt even touch the BIOS lol.Anything similar happened to you:D?
By the way the laptop was 1 day old xD!!!:eek: