windows XP ?

honadue

I wanted to upgrade my comp with 2Gb RAM and I heard that XP doesn't like to operate over 1Gb. should I just go with 1Gb RAM? I'm a noob if you hadn't noticed.

JTM

XP loves to operate with more than one gig of ram! Depending if you have 32bit or 64bit you can run up to four gigs on 32 bit and 8 on 64bit.

lawson_jl

XP will handle the RAM but the fact is having more then 1 Gig is pointless. There are no consumer programs that will take up that much RAM. With 1 Gig your system won't even use the swap file though XP still makes one by default.

XCtechST

Misconception

Actually, it all depends on what you consider "consumer" programs. The quick answer is this:

Even though no single program on a consumer's computer will come close to using 1GB of RAM by itself, there are many that are known hogs that are still sometimes used in homes such as:
-Outlook
-Photoshop
-Kodak Easy Share
-Most Anti-virus programs that you buy off the shelf
-Quicken/Quickbooks

When you want a computer to perform, ALL programs and processes that are running must have enough RAM to perform, as well as a little breathing room. For anyone who wants to know what is actually open/running, as well as to prove that the page file indeed gets used, go to start--->run and type in "taskmgr" (without quotes) and click "OK." Once there, the Processes tab will show you the processes running and the Performance tab shows you page file use, available memory, etc.

With programs getting more advanced everyday, they require more and more from your computer. I personally don't let any of my clients go without at least 2GB of RAM these days and they thank me for it.

Last edited:

honadue

OK, ctrl + alt + delete is quicker. but it use to run around 450Mb when I only have a 512 Mb RAM. so I switched some of the settings for power consumption, like sleep mode. now it runs around 330 Mb. I have programs for photos and video that I still have to install yet.