Wine help

I am going to install Ubuntu 10.10 and I know you can get Wine for it and you can run windows programs.

Does Wine come with it or do I have to download it now?

Davis Goertzen

No, Wine will not come with it; not quite. But it is free to download and install. In the upper left corner of your screen, click Applications and from there click Ubuntu Software Center, enter "wine" in the search box, and install it.

Be warned, Wine is not a guarantee that you can run all your Windows programs perfectly on Ubuntu. It is a compatibility layer. Some programs work well with it, others need tweaking, some just don't work.

Have you looked at ubuntuforums.org? There is a lot of help available there; in fact, they have an entire subsection of the forum dedicated to Wine.

Anyway, best wishes. Hope this helps somewhat.

Davis Goertzen

Last edited:
thanks but

I am new to Ubuntu so this is what I want to do.

I have to do a full install again of my win xp pro.

So I was gong to get a one TB Hard Drive and install win xp pro but I was going to make two Partiitions and install win xp one one and Ubuntu on the other.

So I will have 500 GB for eatch OS.

Because I have two programs that I use for work Coreldraw 11. and Movie Studio 8.0

Both are win bassed programs and I don't think Wine will run them.

So I will need my win xp for this.

This sould be ok right?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Run a virtual machine first to see if you like it, that way you don't have to set up partitions and you can try multiple flavors of Linux/Unix.

thanks but

I know WUBi is a windows verson and you just install it like you would any other program.

But when you run it it will be just runing like anyy other program so you can not get the real feal of it.

Like when I am in windows and then start WUBi I can not install say a program in WUBi.

So I can't get a feal of how this works.

And things like this.

And what do you mean there are other Linux flavors.

There is just Ubuntu right?

salvage-this

I know WUBi is a windows verson and you just install it like you would any other program.

But when you run it it will be just runing like anyy other program so you can not get the real feal of it.

Not quite. The Wubi installer will install a dual boot of Ubuntu for you that you can delete under programs and features in windows. Once you boot into Ubuntu it will function just as a real instillation will.

The only limitation that I am aware of is that your hard drive space for Ubuntu will be 30gb max.

salvage-this

Pretty much.

If you use the Wubi installer your Ubuntu partition will only be able to access up to 30 gb of space. If you want to use more than that you will need to have two partitions.