wintertime, radiators for heat, issues with computer temp?

palidon112

my desk is right next to a radiator, the radiator will get upwards of 160-200 degrees farenheit and im wondering about my computer. my computer is about 2 feet from it, there is a sort of a wall, about 1" of particle board, it is from my desk, and im sure that will help. i'll be sure to monitor the temperatures of my system, currently they are, 49 degrees celcius in my cpu, the system temp is 31 degrees celcius, and my gpu is 48 degrees celcius. i have a pentium 4 processor clocked at 3000 mhz/3ghz and these temperatures were taken from the bios.

at what temperature should i be worrying about it? the cpu shutdown temperature is 90 degrees celcius, and the system shutdown temperature is 65 degrees celcius, should i turn those down? if so, how far should i turn them down?

thanks, palidon

magicman

VIP Member
Your current temps are perfectly fine, no problem there (assuming your cpu temp is under 100% load). As for the shutdown temps, you could reduce your cpu shutdown temp to 65 and the system shutdown temp to 60, if you wanted. But if you're always monitoring your temps you'll know if anything's out of the ordinary anyway. The temps shouldn't increase a great deal if the particle board stays there, so it should be fine.

palidon112

ok, i kinda dont think will be much of an issue, but it doesnt hurt to check.

now, is there a program i can download to automatically monitor cpu and system temps without me having to go into bios? my gpu's comtrol panel has a system temperature monitor.

and no, the cpu temp wasnt under 100% cpu load..

magicman

VIP Member
Okay, well if that cpu temp is at idle, it's pretty high, you want to find out the load temperature, by monitoring the temp when running something like folding@home or cpu burn-in. You can monitor the temps using Speedfan or Motherboard Monitor.

palidon112

in speedfan the chart shows it ranging from 40 being the lowest, to 46 being the highest, probably averaging 43 degrees celcius.

do you still think thats a bit high? ive never really looked art my computers temperatures before..

magicman

VIP Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but those speedfan temps don't sound like those are for your cpu under 100% load judging from your first post?

palidon112

yeah, i just noticed, it says on speedfan, i knew it said the processor usage in the task manager, but i didnt look. when i started HL2 the processor usage went up toabout 60-70 percent and the temps went to about 55 max.

magicman

VIP Member
Like I suggested, run CPU Burn-in, and choose to run the program for maximum heat generation. That will give you a much better idea of the top temp than just running HL2. Only doing that will give you an accurate picture. So far, though, it seems like some after-market cooling may be in order.

palidon112

yeah, i have an idea of where to put a couple fans, it would really increase the airflow past the mobo. im relatively noobish, im nto sure how/where id connect the fans for power. i'll probably check the stickies and search google for that.

it doesnt look like it has gone over 55 degrees while i ran the cpu burn in. but in speedfan it didnt show the processoir usage at 100% it was about 50-60%

Last edited:

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Another thought would be to put a pair ot trio of silent 120s by the particle board to blow any hot air away :)