winxp media HP pc

nockerupper

Have Winxp media HP pc model m370uk

My hardrive went corrupt, new hardrive obtained, unable to install winxp HP media. Hp sent me replacement disks foc, even tried another hardrive.

When I try to carry out installation with the disks, the old disks or the new ones, get error, "These recovery disks do not support this HP pc". done the usual, fdisk, format, even just fdisk, hardrive shows up in bios, what am I doing wrong, done everything by the HP website to no avail.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=371157&lang=en&cc=us&docname=bph07145#N1010B

If I put one of the HP CD Tools disks [not the recovery disks] in the cd draw, the disk starts to work but comes up in Chinese. Could it be that the "Tattoo" done by HP on the motherboard is corrupt

I can easily install winxp pro, but no bells or whistles, tv etc, just plain xp pro.

Yor help would be welcomed

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Hp sent me replacement disks foc
?

When I try to carry out installation with the disks, the old disks or the new ones, get error, "These recovery disks do not support this HP pc". done the usual, fdisk, format, even just fdisk, hardrive shows up in bios, what am I doing wrong, done everything by the HP website to no avail
1. What exactly disks did they send you? Restore disks? or Reinstallation disks?
2. Did you change any core hardware component? (i.e., motherboard)

nockerupper

Praetor said:
?

1. What exactly disks did they send you? Restore disks? or Reinstallation disks?
2. Did you change any core hardware component? (i.e., motherboard)

Thanks for the trouble taken to reply

The 2 disks sent by HP are "system recovery" disks, 2 in total, Winxp media centre 2004, the only disks that are available from HP for this model, details on the disks, "follow enclosed instructions as supplied with this disk", same instructions as it says on the help section on their website

The disks I made from the PC when I bought it 13 months ago total 7 disks plus 2 cd tools disks

I have not changed any hardware except the cpu fan which was giving error "cpu fan not working". I still got this error with the new fan. After loading xp pro and downloading SP2 from Microsoft the error went away

I cannot find much detail about the motherboard but I am aware the board is "tattooed" by HP,how they do that not sure, but other than that I don't know. There is a jumper on the motherboard with three pins in a vertical line, the jumper is on the top two, are they something to do with clearing the board, not sure, I have had the cmos battery out waited awhile then replaced it. All connections are ok

The hardrive is fat 32, someone told me it will only work with NTFS, I have tried both to no avail, as soon as I put the disk in the cd draw the error comes up when it reads the cd on spin up, "These recovery disks do not support this HP pc", press any key to continue

Bobo

banned
nockerupper said:
Thanks for the trouble taken to reply

The 2 disks sent by HP are "system recovery" disks, 2 in total, Winxp media centre 2004, the only disks that are available from HP for this model, details on the disks, "follow enclosed instructions as supplied with this disk", same instructions as it says on the help section on their website

System recovery disks shouldn't work unless you have remnants of the OS on your hdd, they are recovery disks, not reinstallation disks

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Recovery disks only work if some semblance of the OS is present ... after fdisking and formatting youll need the OS installation disksd

This is the motherboard details I have just found
Dang thats a hacked P4P :p :D