WinXP will not start soundcard driver

John-pr

Hi,
I have a new Gigabyte GA-7DXE Triton motherboard installed on my pc and thought I had a possible conflict between my creative live soundcard and onboard via ac97 sound chip (even though I had disabled ac97 in the bios) Neither source was recognised as a playback device under Sounds and Audio devices in Control Panel.

I thought I'd remove the creative card and see if the onboard sound would work by itself, re-enabled it in the bios but no luck.

Since then
I have updated the Bios and Via ac97 drivers;
All the latest Windows updates, Direct X 9.0 (uh-ho) have been installed to try and solve the problem.

Still no luck,
Control Panel/System/ Device Manager can see the via ac97 sound device and says its fine, the drivers are fine, and the device is working properly.

Under Control Panel/Sounds And Audio Devices/Volume, Audio or Voice Tab, everything is greyed out and says no device.

Under control panel/sound and audio devices/hardware/properties/ audio devices, it says Via ac97 audio controller Status: driver is enabled but has not been started.

What can I do to start the driver and get it recognised in sounds and audio devices?
The windows troubleshooter doesn't tell me anything other than check which device is enabled (none are) but no more help after that.

PC eye

banned
Either you will have to right click and uninstall what is currently seen in the sound and game controllers section in the DM and reboot the system for the fresh hardware detection there to have Windows reinstall the drivers for the onboard sound or reinstall the sound card and install the latest update rather then use the drivers on the cd. Make sure the Plug'n'Play support is enabled in the bios as well as the OS2 support.