Wireless adapter for Desktop

Bdavis0410

Recently me and my wife decided to make me a "man cave" upstairs. To do so we would either have to have the cable company route the modem upstairs ($$$), or get a wireless adapter. Given my specs, I was hoping someone could enlighten me on good wireless cards for my desktop. Both in price and performance. Thank you!

jonnyp11

well do you have a wireless modem? the thing that sends out the wireless signal, then the adapter is what receives it.

jonnyp11

that's what i meant, i always mix them up, idk. but as far as the adapter, most here recomend a pci or other internal connecter, not a usb one. as far as the exact one, just check the reviews, any will do.

Bdavis0410

You many need to spell out "pci" and "internal connector". Do you mean it's own power source connector from the psu?

Bdavis0410

Ah okay, nevermind, I see. Just to make sure, I looked up my motherboard, and it says that it has pci, pci express x1 and pci express x16. IS that correct? I'm not sure if that's what it has, or if it was saying on the specs that that's what it CAN have.

jonnyp11

that should be what it has. they're just this

800px-pci_und_pcie_slots.jpg

you just have to unscrew a cover on the (inside) back of the case, and then screw the card in.

Bdavis0410

As easy as that? Nothing needed from the pcu? And it is better to get the pci, or the usb? Anything else I should look for specifically in the wireless adapter for a really good connection from playing upstairs and having the router downstairs?

Last edited:

jonnyp11

the power comes from the slot, and an internal card is recomended, they tend to have better connectivity. just look for a well reviewed card pretty much, idk what else to say.