Wireless Card

computerstu

New Member
I just bought a used Dell Optiplex and am looking for reccommendations for a decent (inexpensive) wireless card for it. We have a Linksys router in our home if that factors in. Thanks. (I haven't been able to post in the other forums for some reason?)
 
Just go to your local store and buy one. Mine that I bought was like 45$ and it's made by Linksys and it works great, I play my games online and surf the web with no issues.
 
I recommend that, first if your router is compatible with DD-WRT software firmware - update it (only if you feel confident enough), second get a wireless card that supports at least WPA, once you've installed it setup the wlan password for WPA with a key length of at least 20 character, I prefer keys of WPA 63 random letters,numbers,ASCII, which will be extremely secure.

Encryptor
Linux rocks the planet...
 
All the routers are basically the same price and do the same thing. Even between the PCI and USB ones. If you have Vista though, make sure you get one that says Vista Certified on the box. I got one on sale for my computer, came to find out later that it was old and Vista doesn't support it.
 
Go to your local Fry's and buy a card. They can come in cards or USB devices. Either is fine.

Take in mind your router signal type, B/G are backwards compatible...
 
Yeah that's where I got my adapter that didn't work. Well it was a PCI adapter that was on sale for $15. So I hurried and bought it to find that it wasn't compatible with Vista. Haha, don't get me wrong Fry's is the greatest place ever, just make sure you know what you're buying.
 
Back
Top