wireless internet broadband card

paranawesnake

i'm planning on buying a wireless net broadband card but am not sure on what specs to buy. the one i'm thinking about right now is the LINKSYS WIRELESS-G PCI ADAPTER WMP54G but someone told me that since i am just gonna be using it for the internet and playing games via LAN connection, 802.11B is better than -G option as it is cheaper and G is normally for businesses.

that same person also told me that D-Link or Net Gear is much better than Linksys as they are cheaper and work better. or should i just go ahead and buy some brand like Mentor or something with a USB facility which typically used for laptops so that i don't have to meddle with all that sticking into PCI slots and stuff?

Thanx to all who reply.

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
Hey!

Don't take my word. I am currently using the B standard and find that it's more than enough for home use. Since I am using the B standard for about 1.5km away from the access point, B is a better alternative as it can reach higher distances (the signal). G is currently not worth it in my view as the majority of providers have stuck and belive will stuck for some time to the B standard. As for the companies, Linksys is a good company. D-Link is still good and cheap but I personally had problems with the 700AP version. I would stick with the PCI version as well...mainly because of the price. I hope I have not mixed your head up man.

JAN :)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
WIRELESS-G PCI ADAPTER WMP54G but someone told me that since I am just gonna be using it for the internet and playing games via LAN connection, 802.11B is better than -G option as it is cheaper and G is normally for businesses.
B - 11Mbit max, average 3-5 Mbit
G (pure) - 54Mbit max, average 20Mbit-30Mbit
G (B-mode) - 11Mbit max, average 4-7Mbit
G (G/mixed mode) - 54mbit max, average 17-25 Mbit

that same person also told me that D-Link or Net Gear is much better than Linksys as they are cheaper and work better
I do a lot of work with Wireless ISPs and Linksys has been having some problems with their devices -- but then again these are things like major ADSL backbone switches, load-balancers and aggregators ... stuff that costs craploads of money. For the consumer parts, Linksys is plenty fine and is prolly one of the better choices. With respect to user interface/drivers, I prefer SMC's as they give a lot of control. Linksys is a very "easy" interface to get going so if thats what you want its an excellent choice

802.11B is better than -G option as it is cheaper and G is normally for businesses.
B is cheaper because its (a) older and (b) slower. Businesses dont use G much (although some do). Many use A (54Mbit, 72Mbit, 96Mbit etc) and more recently theres been a trend for A+G :)

jancz3rt

<b>VIP Member</b>
I Am Inferior :)

LOL. Praetor you are right man. My comment about G is misleading. I use B cause it's the most prevalent. I live in the Czech Republic so that's why manybe B is so pop :))). Anyway...there is a difference between the distances that B and G can travel while having WIFI radiotion limits in MIND.

JAN :D