!!Wireless Networking Help!! (connect 2 wireless lans)

dishman

My scenario:
I have a wireless LAN with 3mbps cable internet connection.
My friend has a wireless LAN with no internet connection.
I want to share my internet connection with my friend whose house is 4 miles away direct line of sight.
I built 2 biquad antennas (28db og gain) then attached them to a pair of 30 inch dishes and plan to install them on our roofs.
What extra equipment do I need to connect our two wireless LANs.

My question is:
Should I hook up a wireless access point to one of the ports on my wireless router and then hook up the dishes pigtail to the access point and then at my friend’s house should I hook up the dishes pigtail to a wireless bridge and then run the bridges port to the wan port on his wireless router? will this format work?

This is an image model of what I think may work, but I would love some conformation before I buy all of the equipment.

layout.jpg

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
I believe thats against the law.

And how much would those dishes and antennas cost you anyway?

apj101

VIP Member
I believe thats against the law.

And how much would those dishes and antennas cost you anyway?
Not against the law, maybe against you isp rules however

This is a completly doable task (could even be done with the old can of pringles trick)

As for the cost of the dish, you could get them for free, just use an old satellite dish

But your wiring is all wrong, the pigtail (assuming with is n - connector) needs to be conected to the connector of your wireless card/router. You cant convert a co-ax cable into an ethernet cable.
Take a look a the connector here for example
http://wireless.gumph.org/content/3/7/011-cable-connectors.html and see if you card has Lucent or SMA connectors.

This project is completly doable, assuming you have good line of site to your friends house :)

You seem to have a good background so i'll not go into a tutorial (there are stacks online anyway) but if you are having trouble connecting the dish to you wlan after looking at the connectors link, then post back

Last edited:

dishman

It is legal for sure. It’s under 30db. apj101, you are absolutely correct! On my side of the project I plan on hooking the pigtail to the antenna spot on the wireless access point and on my friends side I plan on hooking the pigtail to the antenna spot on the bridge. I guess my main questions are:
1. Do I even need that access point? Do you think the dish will be able to feed my local computers too?

2. Can I just plug the access point in to a Ethernet port on my router and have that access point give the ip to the bridge, and then have that bridge give that ip to my friends router which will then generate dhcp ips for the local wireless network?

dishman

The dishes were free and i made the antennas for about 12 bucks. its cool what you can do with 244mm of coper wire!

apj101

VIP Member
1. Do I even need that access point? Do you think the dish will be able to feed my local computers too?
hm, a dish like this is not omni-directional so you do need that access point, unless you wireless router has mutliple antenna, and you can spare one to be connected to your dish via your pigtail
2. Can I just plug the access point in to a Ethernet port on my router and have that access point give the ip to the bridge, and then have that bridge give that ip to my friends router which will then generate dhcp ips for the local wireless network?
That would work, if yo wanted to keep the AP, but depending on how many computers your friend want to be connected to this wlan you could make the process easier.
If he just wants one the you could dispense with the need for the bridge or the wireless router at his end and just connect his wireless card to the pigtail. But you say you friend already has a wlan in his house so i doubt this is the best option, your use of the bridge will be fine.

Beware of the alignment issues with parabolic dish's they can take a bit of fiddling to get the best signal

dishman

Thanks

thanks for the info. Ill buy the stuff and post my sucess when i get it!
Thanks Again!