Wireless router or desktop problem?

grampi

I keep having my wireless signal drop out...I'll be online and I'll click on something and the page will fail to load...then I'll have to right click on the signal bars icon in the lower right corner of my screen and have the troubleshooter repair the problem...it always fixes it, but this happens every few minutes and it has become a huge pain in the butt. How do I go about figuring out what is causing this probem? Thanks.

Quickpaw

What does the troubleshooter say when you run it?

Do you have other computers/devices connected to the router? If so do they work ok?

Can you wire the computer to the router and see if you have the same problem?

Can you tell us how strong the signal is when you're connected?

The model of the router would most likely be visible on the bottom of the unit.

Give us this info and we'll be able to help you a bit more. :)

grampi

What does the troubleshooter say when you run it?

Sometimes it says that it fixed the problem, other times it says it can't and it doesn't really isolate the problem to the computer or router and I'll have to restart the computer to get my connection back.

Do you have other computers/devices connected to the router? If so do they work ok?

None physically connected, but my daughter's laptop connects just fine using the router and wireless connection.

Can you wire the computer to the router and see if you have the same problem?

Don't know, never tried this...

Can you tell us how strong the signal is when you're connected?

Not very, I have one out of five bars...

The model of the router would most likely be visible on the bottom of the unit.

Model # WRT54GS V.4...

Give us this info and we'll be able to help you a bit more. :)

Thanks

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Connect directly to the modem and bypass the router to see if it keeps disconnecting. If not, then its a router issue. If the router is a few years old, I would replace it.

grampi

Another problem I'm having is the computer will not retain passwords on certain forums I'm on frequently. I've even gone into my computer's security tab and phisically typed in the websites I want to always allow cookies and still, every time I disconnect from the internet then go back on, I have to log onto these sites again as my screen name and passwords will be gone. I don't understand why my computer keeps blanking this info out...

grampi

Connect directly to the modem and bypass the router to see if it keeps disconnecting. If not, then its a router issue. If the router is a few years old, I would replace it.

Are you talking about connecting a phone line between the computer and router?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No, not a phone line. An ethernet cable. Take the router out of the equation and hook computer up directly to dsl/cable modem.