Wireless usb hub price

RokvicN

Hello there, I was searching the internet for a while, trying to find some cheap way to connect my tv and speakers with my laptop without cables. I was thinking to do it (not sure if it's possible, but why wouldn't it be?) by using vga to usb converter, where one (vga) connector would go into tv, and the other, converted, usb side would stick to the usb hub, and then, wirelessly to laptop. Speakers would be connected to the external usb sound card, which would be connected to wireless hub too. The only thing I was able to find was some products from "Belkin" (like this one http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5U301-CableFree-4-Port-Dongle/dp/B000LP9RQC) but the price of 200$ was not exactly what I was looking for. I mean, u can find some wireless mouses on ebay and everywhere else for less than five dollars (work method is the same I think, they use 2.4Ghz technology just like usb hub), so why this thing would be 40 times more expensive, does anyone know of some cheaper products?

beers

Staff member
Cheap wireless mice don't have the same bandwidth requirement as video/audio streaming.

What exactly are you hoping to accomplish? Something like a Chromecast would be cost-effective for basic screen casting.

Geoff

VIP Member
It's not going to work well, if at all. That one device has poor reviews, stating that it only works with Windows XP and the implementation is very poor. Going from USB 2.0 > wireless hub > USB-VGA converter > TV is a very convoluted and expensive way to stream data from your laptop to your TV.

What is your goal? Are you trying to stream video? Games? Just use it as an external display for mostly static content? How far away is your TV from your laptop?

RokvicN

Yeah, I was that dumb to think that mice method was the same. Anyway, I just need to watch movies (and some other video lectures) on my big screen tv from my laptop (play music too from my 5.1 system) without tripping up the cables that would be all ovwr my living room. The distance that Im aiming for is not more than 4 meters. I was thinking first of usb to hdmi converter, but than I thought that the vga-usb conv. is more simple (cause i need only video signal from it). You think that vga usb conv. would not work? I saw some youtube reviews (that's what all beginners do I guess) where I saw that usb-hdmi cable can't stream video at all, but the vga-usb worked fine. Thanks for the answers by the way.

Geoff

VIP Member
You are still over thinking this. There are many better and cheaper alternatives to get media to your TV from your computer.

One option is to get a Chromecast, which is an HDMI dongle for $35 that you "cast" media to from either your phone or PC, but this is limited to web-based media like Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, Pandora, etc. You could always throw your videos on YouTube and keep them private, and then use Chromecast.

Another option would be a network streaming device that you plug into your TV and it streams content shared from your PC.

Honestly though, 4 meters is not that far, why are you against just running a cable along the wall?

RokvicN

Don't know anymore, I just thought that in the year of 2015 it's not that complicated to do such thing as sharing your whole desktop screen and avoid all those endless cables (my cat just can't resist hunting them), but it seems I was wrong. I researched a bit about Chromecast and, as far as I found, Google is experimenting with the screen mirroring feature, so I guess that would be solution for my demand. A friend of mine just bought some bluetooth adapter with 3.5mm plug, where he connected his speakers, connected adapter to laptop, and it works just lik with the cables, so I guess I'll do it like that too. Thanks again Geoff and beers, all the best!

Geoff

VIP Member
Streaming audio wirelessely is easy, bluetooth adapters do an excellent job at that. Many modern TVs also have DLNA support for wireless screen mirroring, I know they do this with Android phones, so it may be possible with desktops as well with the correct hardware.

Your best bet would be to avoid ancient USB 2.0, VGA, and other adapters and just get a wireless HDMI adapter that plugs right into your laptop: http://www.amazon.com/Nyrius-Transm...&qid=1448487350&sr=1-1&keywords=wireless+hdmi