wireless/wired network problem

dmehling

I am having a problem reestablishing the network connection between my laptop and desktop computers. I have my desktop designated as the server and my printer is connected to this computer. This computer has a wired connection to my wireless/wired broadband router. The laptop is connected wirelessly to the router. When I got my laptop a couple months ago I was able to easily establish a network connection between the two computers and to share the printer. The connection went down several days ago and I cannot seem to reestablish it. Both computers can connect to the Internet, but I cannot connect my laptop to the server so as to use the printer and to allow both computers to access each other's folders. I have no idea how I was able to set up the network in the first place, and cannot figure out how to restore it.

dmehling

I'm not sure. How do I find out and if they are not on the same workgroup and how do I get them set up that way?

dmehling

I now have half the problem solved. I ran the home network setup wizard on my laptop and I can now see all the drives on my desktop server. However, I did the same thing on the desktop and I cannot see the drives of the laptop. How do I figure out the problem at this point?

cohen

OK, to find out the same workgroup, go Right-click my computer > Properties > Computer Name (tab) - it is under there.

OK, under my network places you should be able to view the sharing "folders", things shared will only appear as folders.