wireless WPA2 protection

jericho

refer to the pic, if i set my shared key to eg, 'hello', i just need to enter the key hello everytime i connect to the network right?

then what about the group name renewal function for? does that mean the key 'hello' will change to a different name once every 3600 seconds?

link.gif

davidireland

No, that does NOT mean your passphrase will change. It will stay as HELLO until you decide to change it.

I'm not 100% on what that does mean, but it probably means it just refreshes and checks everything is vaild.

davidireland

Yeah, you might want to change that. (not that i think anyone would probably be able to guess that. Sometimes simple is the way to go haha)

BUT!! Hello isn't your encryption key! Its your pass PHRASE. The router takes your passphrase and converts that to the type of encryption you picked.

For example, in 32 bit wep encryption Hello would be converted to
"48:81:ed:9f:y8" (BTW that was completely random...)

However, if the "hacker" uses the linksys setup utility he could generate keys with a common passphrase you might choose.

Last edited:

jericho

davidireland said:
Yeah, you might want to change that. (not that i think anyone would probably be able to guess that. Sometimes simple is the way to go haha)

BUT!! Hello isn't your encryption key! Its your pass PHRASE. The router takes your passphrase and converts that to the type of encryption you picked.

For example, in 32 bit wep encryption Hello would be converted to
"48:81:ed:9f:y8" (BTW that was completely random...)

However, if the "hacker" uses the linksys setup utility he could generate keys with a common passphrase you might choose.

ok thanks..but that pass phase is still suspectible to attack launched by airsnort and other major wpa cracking tools right?

davidireland

Yes but any key is...like i said its best you change it to something else you'll remember. Not something easily guessed like your Dogs name, which your neighbors would know, but something else only you might guess.